Topic

Winter OHT: 32* bag warm enough?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
PostedDec 11, 2008 at 1:15 pm

A friend and I are thru-hiking the OHT starting this Sunday (Dec 14).

I have little winter experience. My previous winter trips were spent in the desert of Big Bend where it usually does not dip below 25* at night.

The weather forecast for nearby Fayetteville, AR shows lows as low as 20* for the beginning of our trek. It will be colder on the trail. The extreme low for the month of December is -12*.

Bag: WM Summerlite
Shelter: Hubba Hubba (sharing the tent)
Pad: Ridgerest (Do I need to supplement this as well?)
Clothing:
– Patagonia Capilene 1 Top & Bottoms
– Arcteryx Delta LT Zip (Lightweight fleece)
– Montbell UL Wind Jacket
– Cocoon Pullover
– ID PLQ Pants
– DriDucks rain gear (last resort)
– MH Butter Balaclava
– Wool watch cap
– Teko wool 1/4 socks

I am 5'8" 140 lbs with a high metabolism and low body fat.

I consider myself an average sleeper. I have taken a stock Summerlite down to the rating with just a base layer and a beanie without the need to zip it up and cinch it down.

I will go to bed well fed. I will shift a lot of the down from the bottom of the bag to the top. I will be wearing everything but the DriDucks to bed. We will be maxing out the mileage, so I will be exhausted at the end of each day.

I am confident I will survive, but will I be able to sleep?

Thanks for the feedback.

PostedDec 11, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Tim Ernst 2007 Ozark Highlands Trail Guide p30

"December. A good month to hike, believe it or not! The days are usually in the 30's and 40's, but are often in the 50's and above. The nights get cold, and can drop down to zero once in a while. Snow is more likely, but not too much. And it can rain a lot. This is a typical flood month. It is usually pretty dry though, with some rain now and then, and once in a while some ice. The ice begins to accumulate on some of the bluffs and creeks along the trail. A campfire feels great!"

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedDec 11, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I wonder if an Equinox bivy would give you any more warmth? They are light, and cheap.

PostedDec 11, 2008 at 2:00 pm

December on the OHT, I would want a 20 degree bag and a warm sleeping pad. The Ridgerest won't be enough, I don't think. I'd bring a Prolite 4 or another pad of equivalent warmth. It can get down to zero in December, but the mid 20s are much more common. Lows in the 30s are not unheard of, but much less common.

Particularly since you're thru hiking, I'd think an adequately rated sleeping bag would make the whole experience that much more pleasant. You might be able to survive the night in a 32 degree bag, but–depending on your body–you would likely be shivering through most nights, which can deprive hikers of valuable sleep and health.

PostedDec 11, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Your Summerlite might be enough, though some nights you'll be wearing all your clothes. Keep in mind that temps on the OHT will be 5-8 degrees colder than in Fayetteville or Ft. Smith. Looks like you might get some snow and ice next week, too.

How long you gonna be out?

Tom Caldwell BPL Member
PostedDec 11, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I agree about the temps being colder out in the National Forest areas. I can't remember it ever seeming very cold in Fayetteville, but I suppose my metabolism was a little better back then. Also, I believe the Buffalo River is regarded as the coldest place in Arkansas. So keep that in mind.

PostedDec 11, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for all the pointers.

My friend is the one planning the hike. I have not done the proper due diligence on the conditions.

Bringing my MLD bivy is a possibility.

Do you think a Ridgerest Deluxe would be enough? Or if I added a blue foamy underneath my regular Ridgerest? I could borrow my dad's Trail Lite, but 2lbs is more than I can stomach for a pad.

It will probably take us 8-10 days. We are both runners in great shape, so I expect 20 miles/day will not be a problem. Here's hoping the precipitation is minimal, although it would be my first white xmas.

I think I will end up borrowing a friend's WM Ultralite if I can. He is 6'6", so it will be a little long, but I could use the extra insulation.

Tom Caldwell BPL Member
PostedDec 11, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Borrowing your friends WM Ultralite might be a good idear. You'd be a much happier camper.

All of the old-timer Ozarkians have been predicting a cold winter. I haven't seen it yet, but it's bound to happen. I should mention that they're right at least half the time. :-)

PostedDec 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm

I was able to commandeer the Ultralite.

Will I need more pad under me? I have been fine with my torso Ridgerest down to 25. Do I need to pick up a Ridgerest deluxe or a cheap blue pad to go underneath my current Ridgerest?

PostedDec 12, 2008 at 12:24 pm

I USED to be able to get by with just a RidgeRest when I was younger, in virtually all conditions, but have gone to a combination of a Torsolite and Thermarest ultralight when going out in temps in the 20s. I have used this on the OHT in temps in the single digits and slept like a baby.

Looks like they have backed off the forecast somewhat, but it'll still be chilly. Hope you have a great time.

M G BPL Member
PostedDec 12, 2008 at 12:30 pm

I just spent a very cold night aroun 26 degress in an ultralite a ridgerest. I don't recommend a series of nights with this combination.

mg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...