Topic

Poles: Gossamer 4 or REI Peak UL?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedDec 11, 2008 at 12:24 am

I'm having a difficult time deciding between these two trekking poles… was wondering what you all thought.

REI Peak UL
– 11.2 oz (pair)straps/baskets removed
– Down to 27"
– REI Return Policy – in case of damage
– More robust – I won't be the only one using it. Others = more clumsy
– $109 (5% discount, cancels out tax)

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4
– 6.8 oz (pair)
– Down to 35" (too long to fit in pack)
– No guarantee
– Less Sturdy
– $140 + shipping

What do you guys think? I've tried the Ti Goat poles and the weight felt fantastic but I'm worried about the durability of the Gossamer poles if they're of similar weight. I'm also thinking the REI Poles would be stronger for tarp use (as well as more convenient for transportation). The cost difference isn't a huge concern. I just want the better product.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 11, 2008 at 12:43 am

Nick:

Between the two, I would go for the GG Lightrek 4 without any hesitation whatsoever.

As you know, I have a set of TiGoat poles which are supposed to be very similar to the GG. Indeed, users who have tried both are giving the nod to GG. I used to own a pair of REI UL Compacts as well. The REI ones are heavier and also more fussy. Even more so than the TiGoat poles, the REI ones often refuse to lock properly.

TiGoat / GG poles are UL gear; however, they are plenty durable.

PostedDec 11, 2008 at 2:46 am

Nick, I have the Komperdell C3 which I believe are identical to the REI Peak UL (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). There is a "technique" to the locking mechanism, in that a section needs to be almost fully extended for it to begin to lock reliably. Once it has started to lock you then readjust the length and it will lock properly. If you try and lock without extending the section first then you will sometimes (or often) find it hard to get a lock… which I guess is what Ben is referring to.

If money is no object, then go for the GG poles. I chose the komperdell because they only cost me $77.

Since your poles will be used by others, you probably don't want to have to teach them each the proper "technique" for getting it to lock properly.

PostedDec 11, 2008 at 5:06 am

I use and like very much the original fixed length pole from Gossamer Gear. They are strong and they do flex. If the tips do break off, the pole itself most likely will not be damaged. The tips can be easily replaced using the tips from Leki. I have broken Leki poles, but their customer service is excellent and they replace poles free without questions. Gossamer Gear will do the same.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp;jsessionid=JBTTGTg5y2LgHP1m8Fv44MphxfWMK9M108QyvtGb46pQHwy5Y4Sv!-445586783!-27495218?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441774729&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302336223

PostedDec 12, 2008 at 11:29 am

Hi Nick, all,
Just to clarify our policy on trekking poles.
If you break them under circumstances where ANY pole would break, ie wedge them in a crack and then fall on them, we'll sell you a replacement section or pole for what amounts to our cost. If they fail when they shouldn't we replace for free.

As always, please contact me at Gossamer Gear if you have any further questions.

Happy Trails
Grant

PostedDec 12, 2008 at 11:53 am

For what it's worth: My wife and I use the Komperdell C3's hers are branded as REI Peak UL, mine are branded under the EMS name but same poles. I agree that the locks are finicky and require constant maintenance, cleaning and adjusting between trips.

After 3 years, the bottom section of my wife's pole simply would not work, no matter what coaxing I could do. I took the pole back to REI with the intent to purchase another locking mechanism and replace the faulty one. However, they don't sell "spare parts". They looked through their collection of returned poles to see if they could salvage a lock, but turned up empty. So, they simply gave my wife a brand new set of poles. I can't complain about the service.

On the other hand, I've been salivating over the new GG Lightrek 4's. My only concern is how flexible they are. I like a really stiff pole.

Ron Bell / MLD BPL Member
PostedDec 12, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Hi Nick,

I would also add the idea that lighter pole weight differences are magnified by the energy saved in swing. So, a pole that save X ounces is similar to saving maybe twice that (or more!) vs an item that rides in a pack.

This is also extra true of any foot wear (shoes, socks, gaiters, etc) where the real energy saving may be even higher.

Go for the GG poles.

Peace,

Ron

PostedDec 12, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Nick,

What made you decide to go with adjustable versus fixed poles?

PostedDec 12, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I have both and can give you a little more insite.

The Ti Goat are a pultruded carbon product in the lower portion of the shaft versus the GG poles that are built using the conventional method of wrapping super high quality carbon with a very low resin content pre-preg around a steel tool. The main difference between the two is the amount of resin "binder" versus carbon fiber that makes up the matrix of the parts. More carbon and less resin equal a much stronger part. More difficult to make the GG parts but the differnce should show up in the increased durability, increased stiffness, and better vibration dampening. Also, the diameters are quite a bit different. The GG poles are much larger in diameter – about .500" versus .371" in the lowere tip section of the poles which will give you increased stiffness. Lastly, the locking mech. for the GG is similar but has more area that locks into the pole and also has the bolt head attached so the rubber fitting can't come off in the shaft or get lost. This is the comparison versus the Ti goat. In comparison to the REI poles … after going to SUPER LIGHT poles I could never go back to something as heavy as the REI Poles. After a long day of hiking, you really can feel a difference in weight and vibration in heavy versus light weight poles.
Hopes this helps.

Kevin

PostedDec 12, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Wow, great opinions everyone.

Thank you to Grant for clarifying their policy, that certainly helps in considering the potential durability of the Lightrek 4s. Personal reassurances make buying from cottage-makers so much more enjoyable.

After going to REI with my friend and his Ti Goat poles… it's clear that the amount of energy used to swing poles half the weight is significantly less.

The reason I'd rather get adjustable pole are: 1) Easier to transport 2) More than just myself using it – people of different heights

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Jason Klass BPL Member
PostedDec 13, 2008 at 8:04 am

Nick, I own the Light Trek 4s and can tell you they're very tough. I think that (as Grant mentions above) unless you do something that would break any pole, they'll be fine. The first time I used mine was on an extremely icy and steep trail (like walking up a frozen river). I really laid into them and they held up well under extreme pressure. The nice thing about the new Light Trek 4s is that they have a spiral ribbon of graphite on the bottom section for added durability if they get scraped against rocks, etc.

As for setting up tarps, I find the locking mechanism to be very strong. On the contrary, I wouldn't trust the locking mechanism in the REI poles since they're made by Komperdell. I've had several locking mechanisms on Komperdell poles fail and I'm finished with them!

After using the Light Treks, I don' think I could ever go back to regular poles. My Lekis seem like they weight 2 tons now! Go for the GG poles. You WON'T be disappointed!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...