Topic

Neoprene Tips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Neoprene Tips?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I have been considering buying some 2mm neoprene to make some combination overboots/gaiters for winter use over running shoes with snowshoes. I am thinking along the lines of 40 Below's products, but simpler.

Does anyone have any experience working with neoprene? Will I be able to simply glue it, or will I have to sew to reinforce? What glue to use? Aquaseal? Special wetsuit contact cement?

Is this even feasible?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

To be sure it is feasible.

Can I recommend that you buy neoprene foam with Lycra on at least one side – it will last much better.

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

What about Louis Garneau Protect Bootie at performance bike?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Jason,
    I was just looking at my neoprene socks, and they are sewn and glued. The thread is only noticable from the outside (ie. they aren't sewn from the inside and then turned inside out), and the inside seams are pushed tight and glued.
    REALLY Looking forward to seeing this come together. I have a pair of 40 Below TR on order (I'm waiting impatiently) , and would love to make or see something lighter.
    To get the pot boiling…I'll say that I envision a lower section (maybe just covering the ankle) made of neoprene and a nice high eVent gaiter attached. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a zipper or velcro (just slip them on) as I would put them on the morning and take them off at night – that's me though.
    It would be nice if the sole was beefy enough to use without snowshoes for when snowshoes aren't needed – Not necessarily a bare trail, but through some snow. However, I realize this is not the goal. Oh yeah, make sure they only weigh 1 ounce for the pair ;)
    OK, I'm getting carried away. Have fun on your project, keep us up to date and good luck!!

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I was thinking I would need the neoprene with Lycra on both sides (inside and out). Outside for durability, inside for ease of sliding on and off without zippers or gussets.

The Louis Garneau Protect Bootie looks great. I wonder if it has a hole in the sole for clipless pedal cletes? A weight would be nice too, but it looks to be pretty minimalist.

I had thought about making the top gaiter portion out of a WPB for the weight savings. Another thought that crossed my mind look for a pair of hip boots or waders with neoprene socks and WPB uppers – then I would just cut them to desired height and add a cord to snug the top.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools