Topic

My First Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My First Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Jesse, you mentioned needing/wanting two layers of protection for your down, well, if you do the pack liner, which works great by the way, that's one, and then in rain, you'll be wearing the gatewood, which covers your pack completely.

voila. Two levels of protection.

make sure that your hydration system is on the outside of your pack liner in case of leakage.

Jesse McKinney

@jessemckinney

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

"Be less concerned with bailing out and a long walk in the middle of the night.

Rather – the emergency plan is to make a few hot water bottles, eat some chocolate, and do a series of sit-ups. This will get you thru the night."

Will do. Any problems using the soft bottles I prefer? I have a couple of soft Nalgenes and a Platty. I have used this trick with a Aquafina bottle, but am not so sure about the soft bottles. Thanks.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

soft bottles are fine…

Jesse McKinney

@jessemckinney

"Sometime I use a second pole for a larger vestibule area (sorry for not having the height, you should be able to get it off there website."

I was not able to find out about this on their website. Could you elaborate on this?

"The height of the vestibule can be higher or not depending on how you pitch it."

With the standard guy lines, the open space below the vestibule gets larger as I extend my pole. Are you talking about a pitch with longer guy lines than the one it comes with?

"To save weight the bivy I use with the Cape is very lightweight and only has a DWR finish for the top, only the bottom is waterproof (I want it to breath). That is why I don't want my feet out in the rain."

Just from my experience of setting it up in my front lawn, It seems to have enough space where your feet won't poke out.

"BTW, the foot print (area covered by the material) of the cape doesn't really change if you stake it on the ground or use extended guys. The geometry of the “cone” is the same (assuming you have a tight pitch), so the only difference is you head and feet do not touch the material. They are still very close to the edges.
    I would try and sleep in the cape in your yard a couple nights to see how you and the cape get along."

Thanks. I think I meant the 'usable' foot print could be expanded with longer guy lines. My intention with the Gatewood Cape is to have a light weight shelter only for when it rains. I plan on doing most of my hikes on the AT where there are shelters present. Also, most of my trips will be only weekends and I will have the option of not going if the weather looks nasty.

I would try it out on my front lawn, but my neighbors already think I'm nuts by gardening in December ;-)

"I agree with Mike, you won't need to bail- you just might be a little cold but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle with what you are carrying."

Thanks for the optimistic note. I'm still working on dropping the weight. Thanks again for all of the support.

Jesse McKinney

@jessemckinney

"soft bottles are fine…"

That is great news. I'm going to get out the scale again tonight and find the lightest ones I have. Thanks again.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"I was not able to find out about this on their website. Could you elaborate on this?"
    Go to:
    http://community.sixmoondesigns.com/files/folders/hangtags/entry103.aspx
    and download there instructions. They list 45 inches (114.3cm) as the pole height with extenders. If pitched tight to the ground the pole should be 42 in. (106.6cm).

"With the standard guy lines, the open space below the vestibule gets larger as I extend my pole. Are you talking about a pitch with longer guy lines than the one it comes with?"
    I sometimes add to the vestibule guy to get it way up in the air (on a calm night) using a trekking pole or tree.

My neighbors gave up on my sanity long ago, I do use the backyard though.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools