Topic

MLD DuoMid Pics (yellow)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD DuoMid Pics (yellow)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Got my MLD DuoMid in the mail today. I went with the sil since Ron suggested it would be stronger for winter use which is where I intend to carry it. The pics show a quick loose pitch.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Nice! I just ordered the sharkskin grey sil like an hour ago. Can't wait to get it. It's even bigger than I imagined.

I see you are using the pole jack. Have you tried it yet by attaching knotting two poles together?

I plan on using mine for all-season use. I figure I can always open the doors and give it a high pitch during hot nights.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I was just over at the MLD site browsing this shelter as you posted, wondering if Steve has his yet. I couldn't work out why the site froze up all of a sudden! You must have sent a heap of people over.

Any chance of posting some dimensions on the length and width of this shelter? I'm wondering if I can downsize from the Megalite for three of us (two kids) in a pinch, or as an emergency three person shelter for SAR.

Thanks, Rod

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Craig-

I haven't tried that yet. I just did a quick pitch to snap some pics before heading out. I would love to use mine all seasons and plan to at least give it a shot.

Rod-

I won't have it accessible to me until the weekend since I'm in a class all week and staying close to Atlanta but Ron has it at just under 9' wide by 5' deep. If you used the hang loop you could probably get 1 adult and 2 smaller children under it. You could also get the regular Mid and have over twice the room for 25 oz.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Art Sandt

@artsandt

I love that color of yellow. Chris, how easy is it to pitch that tarp with the edges down to the ground and still maintain a taught pitch?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Agreed, that yellow does look spectacular.

I picked mine up on Saturday, and as excited as I am, I haven't had a chance to do much more then spread it out on my floor. The weight with stuffsack, but without guylines, is 11.09 oz (cuben version). I will say that my initial impression of the "material at the top in which the pole holds the tent up" seems to be exceptionally bomber. Maybe it is required.

I'll get some pics up on Wednesday…

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Art-

I haven't tried a lot of pitches yet and won't be able to until the weekend but I would guess it's as simple as setting the proper pole height.

Steven-

Looking forward to the cuben pics.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Chris… Thanks for the photos. My cuben is on order, but won't get here until next month. In the meantime I'll be watching and reading all the posts on the DuoMid. I'm looking forward to using it in the snow this winter. After some use I'll decide whether to take the DuoMid or my cuben Grace Solo tarp on my upcoming Colorado Trail thru.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Ron Lawlor wrote:
    “Any chance of posting some dimensions on the length and width of this shelter? I'm wondering if I can downsize from the Megalite for three of us (two kids) in a pinch, or as an emergency three person shelter for SAR.”

Check out this thread for a drawing with dimensions of the MDL Duo Mid.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17079

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I don't spend $$$ on gear often, but the Duo Mid has me drooling.
    It looks like a great, simple design. The silnylon version (for winter and $$$) might be my next big purchase.
    Thanks for posting.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Went over to the park at lunch and gave it a quick pitch. I will say that you can set this thing up in about a minute…even first time around.

I set it up beside a picnic table (standard size) so you can get an idea of it's size. It is way too sloppy and wet outside to get on the ground, but I will get some shots of me in it for size comparison as soon as it dries up. Unless, or course, someone beats me to it.

Also, I think I have to play around with the pitch a bit. It seemed to have great clearance on one side but not on the other. You can see it in my photo. Chris' yellow Duomid seems to have plenty of clearance all around? No doubt, operator error…:)

Pitch 4 corners…
    Layout

Insert pole…
    Pitched

Done!
    side shot

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Steve, What pole did you use for pitching and did you use a pole jack? Thanks for providing the pictures.

I recently received a MLD spinntex Trailstar shelter and I will try to post some pictures soon.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thom,
    I used a Komperdell C3 Duolock (mens) pole. I should have taken a pic of that aswell…I didn't use a pole extender. It was plenty long to pitch, and still had some length left, although it was pitched tight to the ground…ie. no guylines used.

I was going to go with a trailstar until I saw the Duomid up for sale one morning. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

very nice, just got my in Sil and cannot wait to set it up

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Steve,
    That's very cool. It looks like the Duomid is a fully enclosed winter shelter capable of blocking all the wind you want.

I'm wondering about the pole jack too. It looks like a simple piece of aluminum tubing that I could pick up at Home Depot and cut down to size myself, but maybe with a long enough trekking pole, it's not needed?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

You only need the pole jack if your poles are < 140 cm or if you want to pitch the DuoMid off the ground.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Is the peak vent stiffened to maintain shape and stay open in windy conditions?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

The peak vent has a removable stiffener in it.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Dose the DuoMid have a tie out loop atop its peak? I ask because it would be nice so you can pitch it without a trekking pole.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Chad-

It does have a tieout on the peak.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Chad, yes, it has a hang loop. I typically camp in wooded areas so this is a bonus for me. No pole to get in the way.

Regarding my pitch. I was just browsing the MLD site and it looks as though I may have pulled and pegged the corners too tight before inserting the pole. I'll have to try it out again, but this is what I suspect gave me the uneven clearance I mentioned previously.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Steve,

That's a GREAT looking shelter. It's making me very envious

>Regarding my pitch. I was just browsing the MLD site and it looks as though I may have pulled and pegged the corners too tight before inserting the pole. I'll have to try it out again, but this is what I suspect gave me the uneven clearance I mentioned previously.

It also looks in your last pic like you may have the pole leaning slightly to the left (back) This will tend to make the pitch at the back pretty sloppy.

It's worth having a play when you have time to be objective and time to make adjustments before you get out on the snow in the dark. Dont forget to trial pitching on a slope, since this will also affect pole angle and peg placement

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

That's good that the MLD DuoMid has a center tie out loop. I'm a big guy with 24" wide shoulders and a 12" deep chest. Add five inches of down around me and I would never be able to use the DuoMid with the center pole.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I'm figuring to offset the base of the pole a foot or so and then lay on the diagonal . This will give even more space for me while still leaving a bunch of room for the gear in the two unused corners.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools