Topic

Vest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Vest?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Zak Randell

@zakrandell

I’m considering a vest to replace a full fledged jacket for above freezing hiking. What would people reccomend? I know the Puffball Jacket is supposed to be the best but I think the vest may be made of a different material.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Both Western Mountaineering or Montbell make vests that are quite lightweight and warm

Zak Randell

@zakrandell

But what about the Puffball? Whats it made out of?

John Chan

@ouroboros

I like my Montbell UL thermawrap vest. Its 5 oz in M and good for core insulation if you’re on the move. For stationary applications I wouldn’t use a vest… I’d be looking for a down sweater.

gdinero senior

@gmoney

I recently did a hike in temps ranging from 22 to 35. I found that I was relatively comfortable while layering a S/S t-shirt, a L/S t-shirt, and the Marmott DriClime wind shirt. I had with me the Patagonia Micropuff vest, but was too warm hiking with it on top of my first three layers.

I don’t like the weight of the DriClime (14 oz’s!), but it is incredibly versatile and functional.

Zak Randell

@zakrandell

I figure I can save at least a few ounces over my heavier fleece that I use for winter. I’m planning a hike of the relativley new Lycian Way trail this coming March and temps should never go below freezing but I may need extra insulation some days in high elevations and for security at nights. I doubt I’ll be wearing the vest more than 10 times for the entire hike. A full on jacket is a) more expensive (flights to Turkey aren’t cheap) b) heavier for how little I will use it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools