.
Topic
Prophet 2009.
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
removed
Craig…
I just spoke to Ron one minute ago (ordered a Cuben DuoMid). He's there in the shop.
Try me anytime- I answer the phone pretty much 24-7 and am in the shop every day M-F and some weekends too!
I do hope to finally take a week off at Christmas!
540-588-1721
Dave T,
I have one of the MLD 09 Prophets with the optional pack lid and belt pockets. I've had the opportunity to use it a few times and I'm very pleased. You can see it hanging in my gear closet on a BPL post related to gear storage.
Ron makes great gear and is very good to deal with.
Thom,
I'm curious about the capacity of the Prophet.
With your typical base weight, how many days of food can it handle before you need to use the extension collar?
Thanks.
Greg PM sent regarding 09 Prophet. I agree with Dave T's comments in regard to pack volume and trip length. I specifically use mine for short overnight trips only. Past back surgery requires I use a stayed pack for any trips longer then overnight. A user with a dialed in sub-5 gear list would likely be able to push trip length, using the 09 Prophet, into the 3-5 day range.
I just ordered the ARC 2009 at 4200ci and hope when it arrives it comes in at under 18oz. Any body tried this pack yet? The ARC can't get to my house quick enough!!!
X-Mass is coming early!!!! Sew faster Ron.
Ron, I did not realize you had started making all of your packs in the Dyneema X.
Direclty from MLDgear.com:
"Dyneema X
4 oz sq/yd 210D Nylon with a white 210 Dyneema ripstop grid ( 1/4") reinforcement at 0 and 90 degrees. The high Dyneema content equals 9% of total fabric weight. Each Dyneema thread can hold over 150lbs. An aditional X patten of Nylon overweave improves abrasion and tear resistance and is beautiful enough for intimate apparel. PU waterproof coated. The new standard in lightweight super tough pack fabrics. Color is Titanium gray. The top picture shows the Titanium color best and the bottom one shows the Dyneema ripstop and X weave best".
I was unaware that X was totally waterproof, and Ron cleared up some confusion of mine earlier today, which is a nice, professional touch. I was unaware that X was waterproof because nobody else seemed to mention it. I dont recall hearing or reading about waterproof-ness of my Jam2. Well, anyway thanks Ron its good to have that added bit of security. (not that it EVER rains around here…)
I'll be looking to purchase the Prophet X-small for my newest hiking buddy. He's almost 3 now.
Jay,
Christmas came a little early here, as I received my new ARK pack a couple weeks ago. Including the bungie cord and one medium size hipbelt pocket, the total weight of my ARK is 18oz. It's the new Dyneema version.
I think you'll like yours.
Thanks Dave, I totally guessed at the weight-18oz. Looking forward to it in my mail box!!!!!!!!
How much space is left in the front mesh pocket when the pack is completely stuffed? Is it still easy to get stuff in and out of the pocket or is it squeezed tight by the pack contents?
On the space question on the back pocket of the 09 prophet…I find there is still plenty of room in the back pocket when the pack is full. GPS, days snacks, wind jacket, etc. The mesh expands out away from the pack. This is unlike the GOlite Jam2 pocket that does loose space when the pack is full.
Jamie
From Dave T: "And importantly, I will be able to carry water on the side pockets (where I prefer, easy to get to and down on the hips); with the Ion I was carrying two 24 oz bottles on the shoulder straps, AR-style (not ideal). … And I like the tough material (vs. silnylon, etc.). I'd rather have a bit more weight and a pack I don't have to baby."
Dave, (or anyone else with insights),
Could you clarify these 2 things for me ?
What didn't you like about carrying water on the shoulder straps ? I would think this would help counterbalance the pack weight to reduce the amount of forward lean needed. Was this the case ? What were the negatives ?
Also, how much did you have to baby the silnylon pack ? Did you get holes, rips, seams opening up, straps pulling out, etc ?
Thanks.
I posted these pics before in an earlier thread on the 09 prophet so please excuse them if you've seen them, but I thought they might help with questions on size and the back pocket.
Here is a pic with the prophet loaded with full set of gear (20 degree+ weather) and 2.5 days of food.

Here is a picture comparing the golite ion (left), 09 prophet (middle) and golite Jam2 (right). I was surpised by the large volume of the prophet and notice the larger collar.

I have used all three of these packs on 2-4 day trips and like the prophet the best.
Jamie
Thanks Jamie. That's exactly the info I was looking for.
Become a member to post in the forums.

