Topic

My 3-season clothing list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My 3-season clothing list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shane B
    BPL Member

@shanebeers

I'll admit right out that this is NOT ultralight, but a combination of cost-effectiveness (got all of this on sale) and layering ability (I can also wear this all at once) was my draw. I'm not a winter backpacker yet, so I wanted the system to handle above-freezing temps at camp at night and warm temperatures during the day, and be flexible enough to take or leave pieces as the forecast calls for:

From base outwards:
    – Icebreaker Atlas 150 S/S (4.75 oz)
    – North Face TKA 100 1/4 zip fleece (11 oz)
    – Marmot DriClime jacket (11 7/8 oz)
    – Marmot PreCip rain jacket (12 3/8 oz)
    Total weight: 2 lb 8 oz

Legs:
    – Patagonia Capilene 2 bottoms for colder situations (7.75 oz)
    – Mountain Hardwear Mesa convertible pants (14.25 oz)
    Total weight: 1 lb 6 oz

The piece that will create the most flexibility between seasons is the fleece, which I plan on taking when night temps dip down into the 30s-40s. The lightly insulated DriClime will serve as a warmer jacket I can wear over the microweight wool at camp. The PreCip serves as my rain jacket, but also another wind breaking and air-trapping layer over the DriClime if the temperatures call for it.

Any suggestions? I'm aware I should probably ditch the cheap fleece, get a truly light wind shirt, and invest in a Primaloft jacket for camp situations…

Shane B
    BPL Member

@shanebeers

I forgot to mention that I also have a slightly heavier merino L/S jersey that I use for cycling. It weighs 11 oz, the same as the fleece. I'm not sure which would be the better insulator – the 100 weight fleece or the merino, which has way less loft.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools