Topic

Emerald Lake, RMNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Emerald Lake, RMNP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

nm

Anonymous
    Inactive

What happened Dondo? This reminds me of some old girlfriends.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

>>What happened Dondo? This reminds me of some old girlfriends.

Sorry, John. :-) It was a photo taken last weekend on a snowshoe hike with my wife at RMNP. We're using it on our Christmas card this year and I decided it needed a bit of work. Here's what I came up with:

Photobucket

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Nice Dondo… I love that place!

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Me too, Brian. I never get tired of getting up there. By the way, I enjoyed your photo essay about your trip across the Park earlier this year. It looked like quite a trip.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great work Dondo and a fantastic Christmas card. The sepia treatment is perfect.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Nice Christmas card! I've been twice to RMNP hiking but in summer. On a trip in December a few years ago, my wife and I drove up to the entrance. The drive up on US34 was nice. Snowing a little on and off. In Estes Park there were elk in the road. Ever since then I've wondered about hiking in RMNP in winter. Will have to try it when I get the chance.

estes park

co1

these next two look like b&w because snow was blocking the light i think

co2

co3

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

My wife and I snowshoed on Emerald Lake in December 2006. Was it frozen over enough to walk across?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

>>Ever since then I've wondered about hiking in RMNP in winter. Will have to try it when I get the chance.

George, it's great in winter. The network of trails around Bear Lake and Glacier Gorge provide some of the finest snowshoeing opportunities around. Avalanche danger is low but the quality of scenery is very high. The road to both trailheads is kept plowed throughout the winter. I tend to avoid the area in summer because of the crowds but in winter this is four star hiking. If you don't have snowshoes, you can rent them in Estes Park.

If you like to photograph elk, you can usually find a good herd at Moraine Park around dusk.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

"My wife and I snowshoed on Emerald Lake in December 2006. Was it frozen over enough to walk across?"

David, it probably was, but we didn't try this time. The winds ripping across the lake were cold and fierce and my wife was huddled in a clump of trees about twenty yards back when I took this shot. The fingertips I exposed to operate the camera became useless in a couple of minutes. On the way back, we did walk across Dream Lake.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools