Topic

Mont Bell UL SS #1 Down Hugger “test”

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
PostedDec 7, 2008 at 8:10 am

Hey guys,
just wanted to share a bit of info on the subject bag. I have owned this bag for about a year and a half and have been VERY happy with its performance. However, after reading some of the discussions on here RE: MontBell's QC on thier bags, I realized I have never looked at mine that closely nor have I really tested it's rating. I have slept in the bag in temps at or slightly below its 15-degree rating with absolutely NO comfort problems, but I have always had at least a thermal base layer on (really more to protect the bag than anything else). Well, when I driving home from the store the other night, my car's thermometer said it was nearing 20 degrees kinda early in the evening (9:00-ish). I verified this with another thermometer when I got home and decided to "test" my bag by sleeping in it on my deck wearing just my boxers and a cotton short sleeve T-shirt (normal indoor sleeping atire for me). It should also be noted that I am a "cold" sleeper and sleep under a LOT of blankets at home. Prior to my test, I used a flashlight to check the down distribution and sure enough, there were random baffles with what appeared to be very little to no down in them.

Well, the result of the test was a "success" as far as I am concerned, as I slept like a log with no comfort problems. I am not sure what the coldest temps were that night because I had to cut the test a bit short due to it snowing on me, but it was about 19-degrees when I got up at 4:00 am. The coldest part of me was the part sticking out of the blowhole and there was ice on the collar where my breath had condensed and froze. In fact, when I would turn onto my side from sleeping on my back, the compressed down that I was formerly sleeping on would warm up in just a few seconds with NO cold spots. The result of this is a theory I formed during the test: Maybe the down distribution (or lack thereof) isn't as much of a QC problem as one may think. Maybe the SS/Down Hugger system allows less down to be used in the bag? I would love to hear any input on the matter though.

Anyway, I know this was a "rough" test, but I just thought I would share my experience to give you guys some food for thought. I don't know what experience others may have had with the bags, but based on this test and previous outings during which I have used the bag, I wouldn't hesitate to take this bag down to temps lower than its posted rating especially while wearing layers.

Matt

PostedDec 7, 2008 at 8:25 am

Sorry about that. I didn't realize there was already a discussion about this in another thread. Oh and just FYI, I am 5'9", 150-155 pounds, depending on the amount of buffalo wings and beer I have consumed.

Matt

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 7, 2008 at 8:49 am

Hey, nothing wrong with starting another thread.

I too am a very happy owner of two MB UL Down Hugger bags (the non superstretch version). Truth be told, when I first got my No. 3 (32F) bag, I was skeptical. It was so light and it didn't really loft up that much. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test it here in southern California before taking it to Wind Rivers, WY for a week's hike. I seriously thought about bringing two bags — just in case. To my pleasant surprise — and thus an undying loyalty to MB — the bag was very comfy and true to its rated temp. I see myself as an "average" sleeper — sleeping neither overly hot or cold.

Reading many user feedback over the years, most users find MB bags to be accurately rated as well — with just a small handful finding them overrated in warmth — which is to be expected — given the subjectivity of warmth.

Based also on user feedback, most users seem to find WM bags conservative — and again, with just a small handful finding their bags overrated in warmth.

MB and WM — two truly great brands. However, MB has the softer shell/liner material that is more comfy to the touch.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 7, 2008 at 10:19 am

OK, fat people, chime in! :)

Bad joke aside, some of the Big Agnes bags are cut generously — and are reasonably light for their size. They are very, very comfy too. I love the Big Agnes sleep system — although being slender, I succumbed to the siren calls of UL and went with MB to shave weight.

PostedDec 7, 2008 at 10:28 am

Sorry, not fat and I have the #0, not the #1 but I want to chime in anyway.
I'm 5'4", 125 and I've found the rating for my bag accurate. I'm a cold sleeper, too. I must admit to using an exped downmat 9, however, which is almost like cheating. ;-)

Richard Nisley BPL Member
PostedDec 7, 2008 at 11:22 am

Matthew,

You are brave to test the lower limits of your bag in those conditions with so little clothing. The EN 13537 temperature ratings are based on wearing .6 clo of insulation in the sleeping bag. This is approximately equivalent to a heavy set of long underwear. A T-shirt is .09 clo and boxers are .06 clo for .16 clo total versus .60 clo. What sleeping pad did you use?

PostedDec 7, 2008 at 7:10 pm

…bravery really had nothing to do with it. I was just extrapolating (rather loosely) off past performances. Also, I am a big fan of running such tests when I can afford to make mistakes (I was two feet from my back door if things started to go badly). As for my sleep pad the good ol' (heavier than hell but quite warm) Exped Synmat 9.5 DLX. :) 2lb 10oz on my scale….and yes, I do take it with me when I think temps are going to be in the low 30's.

Matt

PostedDec 7, 2008 at 7:35 pm

"OK, fat people, chime in! :)"

At 5' 9" and 210# I'm not sure that I fall into the "slender" category…

I've pushed my 30F UL-SS bag to 10F using moderate winter clothing (medium parka and pants), and while I wouldn't have wanted the temperature to go any lower than that, I was fine at that temperature.

I like the SS system for its ability to allow my to have a wider girth as I move around, yet contract back afterward. That said, I have noticed that if I remain in some awkward position, say with my legs crossed in a hammock, I can notice the effect of the down being compressed as the baffles are stretched to their maximum, and the resulting loss of insulation as a result. Once I go back to a more efficient posture the problem goes away.

PostedDec 8, 2008 at 6:44 am

Well I'm 6'2" and 235 pounds. I've found my #3 UL SS Down bag to be spot on (30 degree).

PostedDec 8, 2008 at 8:28 am

I just posted a similar test in the super stretch thread. I think there is validity in the size/stretch of users affecting the ratings. I am in the "non stretch" size crowd, lol, and for me, the SS #2 is conservatively rated at 25, with minimal base layer. Mine also has "variable" filling when viewed from inside, especially in two compartments that are right in the main chest area, but seem to have no effect on cold. I love the bag and am very satisfied. That being said, I started with a #3 and didn't feel it lived up to its' lowest rating, and changed right after I bought it, after one nights test sleep to the #2. There is a big difference in those two bags, temp wise IMO. The #2 is way more than 5 degrees warmer. Draft collar, way thicker hood, 4.4 ounces more of high power down, the same amount that is in their AL down parka. If you are shopping these, get the #2, over the 3 if you are going to be camping in the low range of the 3 bag. Also, they are short, I have the long, and am 6' and it fits perfectly. Regular is short, their recommendation of 5' 10" for the regular is good, any taller then that, get the long.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...