Topic

first-aid wipes question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) first-aid wipes question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Justin Marney
    BPL Member

@gotascii

Locale: Shenandoah

What is the difference/application for each:

Benzalkonium wipes
    Isopropyl Alcohol wipes
    Povidone-Iodine wipes

I have some of each from different kits and I'm trying to determine why I'd bring one over the other.

Peter Barron
    BPL Member

@petembwestnet-com-au

Locale: South East Queensland

Ostensibly they are all skin disinfectants and potentially antiseptics although I would not use them as such. There is a difference.

They all have different spectrums of activity against microbes depending on their concentration and addition other agents.

Iodine can be used as an in wound antiseptic however it depends on the concentration hence I would count it and the others out as in-wound agents (ie can irritate and damage exposed tissue more than protect them).

As skin disinfectants (unbroken skin) they are all probably effective enough.

As a side, saline (0.9%) flush (mix it your self?), dilute chlorhexadine (0.05% – I think that's the right conc.) flush are good wound antiseptics and filtered water (not as ideal) will do. How about a cliche "the solution to pollution is dilution"

I was trying to think of how the wipes could be multi-use agents but I am gathering they are all on postage stamp sized pieces.

Maybe take the alcohol swabs as they are skin cooling/cleaning and maybe can be used as tinder???

Does this help?

Cheers,

Pete.

Justin Marney
    BPL Member

@gotascii

Locale: Shenandoah

Peter,

Pointing out the difference between disinfectant and antiseptic definitely helps. Using that knowledge I was able to find this: http://hubpages.com/hub/Guide-to-First-Aid-Swabs-Towelettes-Wipes which is a great description of each type of wipe and its application. It seems like bringing a few alcohol wipes for disinfecting tools and hands as well as back up tinder is a good idea. For wound cleansing pov-iodine would be the main resource due to its painless nature. No one I hike with is allergic to iodine so the use of benzalkonium seems redundant when pov-iodine wipes are carried. Thanks for the help!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Can a bottle of Purell hand sanitizer be used to disinfect cuts and scrapes in lieu of wipes? If so, then that will eliminate waste burning or disposal (or packing out).

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

If a substance makes the wound sting (as hand sanitizer does), you don't want to use it because is harming the tissue and therefore delaying healing. Or so I've been told by my ER physician son-in-law. I just flush with filtered or treated water.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'd go with Mary, with the additional step of applying an antibiotic ointment before dressing the wound. I've treated a couple of nasty cuts this way and remained in the backcountry for a week or so afterward, infection free.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good points, Mary and Tom.

Perhaps clean water and purell (the latter if needed and when appropriate) are all we need to disinfect — and thus no need for disinfectant wipes? Applying oinment when dressing the wound is a good idea too.

Here in southern Cal — burning trash is often not an option — and so I am always looking for ways to minimize trash.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Definitely a consideration, Ben, but I can tell you from my experience that if you do have the misfortune to cut yourself or otherwise break the skin, the last thing on your mind will be how much trash you will have to deal with.
    All you want to do is get that puppy cleaned, disinfected, and protected. Mwaaaaahaha.! Mommeeeee!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Actually, as far back as I can remember — which would be about 3 or 4 years old — I have never once cried over a wound or hurt. Cursing is just so much more effective. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools