Topic

Torso sized sleeping pads

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedDec 6, 2008 at 2:23 pm

What exactly are the dimensions of a torso sized pad? I recently cut out a 2'2' section of a 10$ closed cell foam pad from walmart and am thinking about using it next summer in conjunction with my pack and natural insulating stuff (leaves,pine needles,etc.) under my ground cloth.Will this work?

thanks to those who give me feedback.

todd BPL Member
PostedDec 6, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Not exact dimensions, but…..

From the top of your shoulders to just below your butt. Some taper it closer to the waist.

Pillow above shoulders and pack or pine needles, etc below, as you mentioned.

I never have liked the torso pad, personally. But others swear by them.

Let us know how it works!

PostedDec 6, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Just like Todd said. You want enough to pad your shoulders and the bones in your hips.

I lie down as I would sleeping and someone marks where my hips end. Then I cut an inch past that.

PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Last month I took a torso-sized sleeping pad with me on the annual Old Missions District Klondike Derby to use as a sit pad and to boost the warmth of my full-length pad. It worked wonderfully! I would use it at rest stops and so I didn't have to sit in the snow and to keep my butt from freezing.
When I used it the first night, I was amazed at how much comfort and warmth it added to my sleep system! I was able to wake up back-pain free (I have back issues that send me to the chiropractor often) because my back was slightly elevated above the rest of by body. Oh yeah…that was a good nights sleep during 20F temps…oh yeah…makin' me sleepy just thinkin' bout' it…

Thanks, guys!

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedFeb 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Evan, You can start by taking a standard 72" pad and cutting it in half making 2, 36" long pads. The width is probably fine at 20", but if you want to taper it make the top 18" and the base 14". Unless you are on the tall side this will give you a pad that is "torso" sized.

Jamie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...