Topic

Help Choosing a Bag/Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help Choosing a Bag/Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I recently sold my FF 30F Syn quilt, and am in the market for a new bag/quilt.

I really don't go out in the winter here in Eastern PA, so it'll definitely be for 3-season use. I already have a 50F summer bag, so I need something colder.

Looking at what's been on sale lately, I am trying to choose between:

JRB No Sniveler
    GoLite Ultra 20
    WM HighLite 35
    BA Horse Thief 35

What is the reasonable estimated range of the JRB No Sniv?

Any input from experience? I know there are some of you out there who have gone through a few of these.

Thanks.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I was comfortable in my Ultra 20 last night @ 24 degrees, with a normal base layer and socks. I really needed a heavier hat was the only problem.

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

I've used my no sniveller down into the 20s with no problem. I really like how I can wear it around camp with the head hole. I ordered the long size so I can pull it up over my head when the temperature drops below freezing.

Charles Maguire

@hikelite

Locale: Virginia

The Highlite rating I believe is accurate but it only has half a zip and if temps warm up you can overheat quickly. Without a full zip you can't use it as a quilt – my only problem with it.

Chuck

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Phil,

What else did you have on with the No Sniv into the 20s? Just a base layer, like Joe and the GoLite?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Hello Joe G.
    i have used the hudson river, a no sniveller minus the hole. the two Jacks are the only commercial enterprise who make one single piece of gear that can be used for:
    a closed foot, top quilt on the ground or in a hammock
    a hammock underquilt
    a flat blanket
    a serape/poncho
    the versatility of the No Sniveller cannot be beaten.
    however, unless you plan on using it for temps from 30-60° you might find it a bit "too" versatile.
    I used a Highlite and found the small zipper to be of little use in temps about 45° and above. I sold it in favor of the JrB quilt.
    I found that the JrB quilt although a very nice piece of gear, has a width of 48" and that makes for a BIG footbox. It was imho a bit too big for my feet and all that dead space = wasted energy to heat it. Sold it in favor of a DIY quilt.
    I would narrow a search for good prices between the Summerlite and the Ultra 20. If all you want is a quilt for ground sleeping and you want the weight savings, the Ultra 20 is terrific.
    If you ever plan on using the No Sniveller in humid, warm camps or as a hammock underquilt, it is the BOMB
    It would be easier to narrow a specific model for you if we were told exactly what conditions you expect to endure :) mike
    * i used the Hudson River quilt down to 30 without any cold spots, wearing only hiking pants and t-shirt. only sold it in favor of a momentum and down quilt project that turned out well.

Timothy Haley

@trhaley

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just got an ultra 20 for winter camping in the PNW. have only tested it in the back yard so far, but I was a little too warm with my cocoon parka when temp was around freezing. I'm eager to really put it to the test but it seems like a great quilt for a good price.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

FWIW, currently the No Sniveller is $ 70 off…. This sale ends noon tomorrow.

Pan

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

Thermal bottoms and an R1 hoody. I was also using a bivy over the quilt. Of course, some people are warmer sleepers than others, so YMMV.

Guy Laden
    BPL Member

@gl

Make sure its girth will work for you at the shoulders. When I'm on my side I sometimes wish there was more material for tucking under me. One option here is to consider the Jrb 'quilt wings'. I believe the Ultra is wider.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

As far as the Golite Ultra 20…I had it down to exactly 20 degrees at 5500 feet with significant wind. I was sleeping inside a MLD bivy under a ID silponcho tarp. As far as clothing goes, I was wearing baselayer with a light fleece cap and my montbell UL down inner. Ground insulation was light, 3/8" GG thinlight trimmed to 38" long (3.4 oz).

I slept fine and I tend to get cold. I think if the temp dropped much more I would need a few more extra garments to stay warm. I'd say that is pretty good for 18.65 oz (i dropped the under straps) and <$200 on sale.

Jamie

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I went with the JRB No Sniv. Thanks for all the input.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools