Topic

Toothpaste dots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Toothpaste dots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

How do I make my own "Toothpaste dots"?
    Or is it jsut as easy to buy some powdered toothpaste?

Thanks

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

I did not know exactly what you meant by toothpaste dots, so I googled it. Two of the first three listings explained how to make your own:

Toothpaste dots
    Are you not quite ready to use Dr. Bronner's soap for toothpaste? Do you have a favorite brand or need a special one for sensitive teeth? Consider making toothpaste 'dots' by drying little dabs on your dehydrator while you're dehydrating some food for your next trip. If you don't want to run the dehydrator, just put some dots on plastic wrap on a paper plate on your dashboard. To use, just moisten. –submitted by Rosaleen Sullivan
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/User_tips.html

and
    Tooth paste is squirted out on a plate, in little dabs. I leave the plate in a corner out of the way, and in a few days I have tiny nuggets of hard toothpaste. Please note: I live at 6,100 feet in idaho, it is VERY dry. These gummy "dots" are packaged in a tiny ziploc baggie, and i chew 'em like gum before brushing. Easy!
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17119

Linda Vassallo

@eastbayhiker

Locale: Eastbay

Hi Shane,

Mike Clelland recently posted his "Ditty" list. It tells how to make the dots.http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17119&skip_to_post=130044#130044

Have fun
    LV

George L Privett

@gprivett

Locale: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

A different toothpaste container – next time you use a 'NeoCitran' package, cut it with scissors horizontally across the top. Rinse it. Use the package for any small items – pills, needle and thread, tooth paste buds, tooth paste. Just mark it with a felt marker and roll the top down. Fasten with an elastic band or duct tape.

Just drip your tooth brush into the tooth paste to use it.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

So you can brush your teeth with Bronner's? or was that a joke?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've used it. With a tiny bit, it's not too bad. I think it's easier to go without.
    These days I don't use anything…just water and a brush.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

That's not a bad idea for short trips, i dislike spitting toothpaste out there.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you don't like to spit out toothpaste in the wilderness, you can try baking soda.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"If you don't like to spit out toothpaste in the wilderness, you can try baking soda"

Or just swallow it.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Anyway, so baking soda or toothpaste can be safely consumed? What about Bronners? Have we officially entered the "hard core UL" realm here? (not a referrence to swallowing)

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I like the idea of baking soda for longer trips and just using water for shorter trips I think. Swallowing it doesnt sound like much fun, but then maybe Douglas was just kidding me with that one and it went over my head. :) Maybe I'll try carrying baking soda in a straw. Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The safety of baking soda is beyond reproach. After all, it is a standard kitchen ingredient for baking. Start with about 1/10th of a teaspoon full, and work your way up to 1/3rd.

–B.G.–

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

Most toothpastes contain sodium fluoride and triclosan, both of which are probably best not consumed. Baking soda is safe, as BG mentioned it's used for baking and as an antacid, but it has a lot of sodium. Dr Bronner's peppermint works ok in small quantities, but I find that the oil they make it from goes rancid in about a year, so it starts to taste bad (or worse depending on how you feel about it.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Toothpaste smells sweet = bears. Leave it at home. Baking soda is fine, if you need something to brush with. Personally, I just brush, floss, and dissolve a Listerine antibacterial gelatin sheet to make a mouthwash, which I spit into a hole well away camp/water source, and which Ben Tang swallows, IIRC. Either way works.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I just brush, floss,"

Of course, in keeping with dual use items, I assume the floss you use this morning becomes the guylines you use tonight? ;-)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Not to press the topic too hard, but I don't get why anything is even needed unless you were on the trail for months. I think that toothpaste is, by and large, a whole lot of hype. Thorough brushing should do the job just as well…no chemicals, odors, or food-like stuff to spit in holes.

If something must be used, I'd second baking soda. I used to carry it in a tiny ziplock; dampen the toothbrush, dip it to pick up some powder, brush.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Of course, in keeping with dual use items, I assume the floss you use this morning becomes the guylines you use tonight?"

Yup. Ever since I had every other tooth pulled in my ongoing effort to lighten up, guylines work just fine. ;)

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

People really don't seem to realize the uses of baking soda.

I use it brushing teeth, cleaning pots/dishes, polishing blades, clearing up rashes, defunking clothing and crotch, relieving upset stomach, etc.

Mix a teaspoon with water if you eat a lot of acidic food, or drink too much coffee.

I grew up using it to brush my teeth with, doesn't take much.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools