Topic

One Fresh Cup coffee brewing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition One Fresh Cup coffee brewing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

1 pound of whole bean coffee and 9 nine cups (72 fluid ounces) of water.
    (For smaller amounts maintain the same coffee/water ratio; .5 lbs coffee and 4.5 cups water)

Grind your coffee beans to a coarse grind. If you grind it too fine you may get bitter coffee.

In a container, with a lid, a cheep ziplock style container will do, Add ½ of the water then ½ the coffee. Wait 5-10 minutes then add remaining coffee then pour in the remaining water. DO NOT STIR. Lightly tap the topmost grounds with the back of a spoon to ensure all grounds get wet. Seal the container with the lid.

Allow to cold brew for 14 hours. I just let the container sit on the kitchen counter.

After brewing pour the coffee through a drip coffee filter in to a sealable storage container and refrigerate until you are ready to use.

The 1 lb to 9 cups water rcepie should yield about 6 cups (48 fluid ounces) of coffee concentrate.

To make coffee use 3 parts hot water to 1 part concentrate.

I've done this twice and it is pretty good. My hiking friend said it reminded him of tea somehow but still taste like decent coffee. The only drawback is that it takes a lot of coffee to make. I think it takes more beans to make concentrate then just brewing coffee. I also advise you to try this on a medium grade bean to see if you like it before you use a bag of your favorite gormet beans.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Your version looks more concentrated. Maybe I'll try it that way. I was told to not use a find grind as it may make bitter coffee but it looks like it results in a higher concentration. plus your recpie brews for 24 hours which may result in a stronger brew.

I suppose there is length of "soak" time where the coffee bean oil and the water cannot get anymore equalized. It is possible, I am sure, to over brew at which point the bean starts to break down and create a bad taste.

I'll give your recepie a test.

I also wonder if dehydrating the concentrate would be effective. I wouldn't expect a powder but if it could be rendered in to a tar or oil that may be interesting…… or possibly nasty or both.

I dont have a dehydrator anyway.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I'll have to check out the Montbell contraption – that would be wicked for my loose tea and a little easier to clean than the little cheesecloth bags I've been using. Thanks.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I'm still searching for the perfect simple cup of coffee. Sewing your own bag works pretty well. I found these with a google search that might be interesting.

I've seen this one on BPL forums before:
    Solo Filter

This one is new to me. I wouldn't want to take the glass straw out but I'm thinking a fuel line filter and some silicone tubing would be a more robust solution.

This one is new to me:
    Coffee Straw

Enjoy experimenting!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Chad Miller wrote: "Well supporting the Montbell OD is rather easy . . . just use twigs, or a couple of extra tent stakes."

Sure looks like the Mont Bell two piece chopsticks to me. I like a pair of chopsticks for stuff like Top Ramen and the weight is slight. Twigs would work, I'm sure.

I've used the Melitta filter holders for years. The #2 holder that sits on a mug is cheap and turns out very good coffee. Pack-out waste isn't much more than tea bags and I can use the same coffee I have at home. Search on "Ready Set Joe Filter Cone" — sold all over for $2.99. I don't have the weight, but it isn't much, but the bulk annoys me sometimes.

A titanium version of the Melitta cone would be very cool. Envision a Ti foil funnel with a couple small holes at the bottom with a wire frame to hold it over your cup or pot. Extra points if the frame can be removed to aid storage. If the cone could be made like a paper filter using seam welding, interlocking seams, a la Caldera Cone, or "Ti origami," it would really stash well. All it needs to do is hold the paper filter together when wet and leak into you cup at the right rate to give a good brew.

Don's post with the link to the tiny living site brought me to a collapsible silicone funnel– all kinds of possibilities for a collapsible filter holder there.

http://www.tinyliving.com/store/product/2371/collapsible-funnel%2C-green/

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Must have!

Wire coffee filter basket

http://www.proline.com/rstore/camp/coffee/index.htm

Had better luck with the checkout system here and the shipping is less:

http://www.herorbit.com/store/product.php?productid=16241&cat=0&page=1

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

Looking for something that stores flat?

OrtliebCoffeeFilter

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prod-2.htm

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

By far the best coffee I've ever had is that made with the Aeropress.
    You use the coffee of your choice
    It is hot brewed and literally takes less than a minute.
    It makes "shots" of coffee concentrate that you then add hot water too.
    I use it at home to make up to 4 cups of coffee at a time.
    For the trail I use 1/2 the suggested water per shot and put it in a plastic bottle. Then when I'm out I just squirt a shot of coffee concentrate in my cup and add hot water. The shots stay fresh for over a week in the bottle.
    Do-It-Yourself Java Juice with your choice of coffee(s).

-Mark

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools