Topic

My FBC Cookbook

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hopefully I am not treading on any toes by posting this, but we have gone live with our cookbook.

The title is Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple.

This has been my work of love the past year-and it feels so good to see it done and published.

We are using Lulu.com to produce on demand.

http://www.lulu.com/content/185299

:-) Sarah

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congratulations on being published!

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

The FDA recommends no more than 2500mg of sodium per day. This includes sodium from all sources (sports drinks, snacks, etc.). I’ve seen single meals that had this much sodium in them. So in reality, almost all backpackers could benefit by reducing their sodium intake. On hot days, you might need more sodium to manage your hydration (or simply do as I do and drink more water).

I don’t have any unique recipes that are low sodium, but as Sabar has suggested, for several years I’ve substituted low sodium alternatives into my meals. Some products that are available in low sodium versions include:

Peanut butter
    Bouillion (both chicken and beef)
    Oatmeal (use “quick” instead of “instant”
    Canned tuna and chicken (I unfortunately haven’t found low sodium versions in foil packs yet)
    Peanuts
    Curry powder (available at Wild Oats and other health food superstores)

My favorite zesty spice is Chef Paul’s Pizza & Pasta Magic which is great on most dishes and adds no sodium.

I also simply eliminate adding any salt to recipes and I haven’t been able to tell the difference in taste.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

ordered one some hours ago. thanks for sharing. can’t wait for Vol. 2 to be published!! best wishes for much success.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Thank you Paul!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

We added a second version today, in ring binding ‘lie flat’ style.
    http://www.lulu.com/content/190266

paul johnson

@pj

What’s the best way to get the “paperback” version switched to the “ring binding lie flat” version? I think the price is the same???

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Hmm..you ordered before the 2cnd version was posted? Hmmmmm…I am not sure if Lulu could switch it, but if you get your copy and hate it being soft cover, I’d swtich for you from my personal pile (I have ordered a number of ring bindings due to some people on another forum wanting personalized copies.
    Drop me an email when you get yours, and if you want, you could mail me your copy (1st class is cheap) and I’d swap you :-)
    Sarah

paul johnson

@pj

many thanks.
    pj

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Just sent the website link to my two sons as a Christmas gift idea for me. If on 12/26 I don’t have it, I’ll be ordering it myself!

Thanks

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Here is a better link to our storefront on Lulu.com:
    http://www.lulu.com/fbc
    This link shows both versions together :-)
    Thanks everyone!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools