Topic

Multi-Use Items

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Multi-Use Items

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The use of salt for dying backpacks. A quote from the web:

Table salt is fine for dyeing, especially if it’s non-iodized, but sea salt is not a good choice because of the minerals in it, as well as the unnecessary expense. Pickling salt is better because it does not have additives.

What salt does, in high water ratio immersion dyeing, is reduce the tendency of the fabric to repel the dye. Since both the fabric and the dye are negatively charged they tend to repel each other. The addition of large quantities of salt reduces the electronegativity of both fiber and dye, making it easier for the dye to associate with the fiber so that it is located handy for the formation of a chemical bond.

In low water immersion dyeing, the purpose of salt is different. It reduces the solubility of the dye, which is probably why it results in somewhat different effects in the uneven coloration that results from the constriction of the fabric by the small size of the container it’s in. Adding salt to low water immersion dyeing can increase the crystal-like patterns produced by this method of dyeing.

Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

Smart phone. I use mine for:

1. GPS
    2. Compass
    3. Music player
    4. Camera
    5. Entertainment on long nights (movies, games)
    6. Electronic books, even trail guides
    7. Writing in journal. I can even include pics in my entries!
    8. Backup flashlight
    9. And actually as a phone if I’m in service coverage
    Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

I can’t believe no one has listed duct tape yet. Blister care (though it doesn’t stay on my feet), band-aids, torn gear repair, broken pole repair with a stick, repair holes in water containers, splint ties, trail markers. I use Leukotape P on my feet and for first aid, though. It stays on for days until I take it off.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools