Topic

aquamira

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) aquamira

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Read Ryan Jordan's 2006 article "Backcountry Water Quality Techniques, Trends, and Paranoia".

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backcountry_water_quality_technologies_trends_paranoia.html

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ben,

As I use a gravity filter, I currently carry AM in liquid form for backup, in case I manage to crack the casing of my filter.

AM in liquid form as a shelf life of a few years.

Do you know if the tablets have a shelf life?

I might want to switch to tablets, as I don't expect to ever use them. The simplicity of their use is appealing as a back up and probably lighter than the two BPL dropper bottles I carry at 1 oz total weight.

-Tony

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Tony:

If I recall correctly, they have a shelf life of 5 years (maybe more).

Is your gravity filter good enough to filter out the larger baddies — protozoa cysts (giardia, crypto, etc.)? If so, then that means your chemicals should only need to take care of the smaller stuff — which are easier to kill — like bacteria and viruses. If that's the case, then when you run out of the Aquamira stuff — just fill the drop bottle with bleach — which costs next to nothing (like 99 cents for a whole quart). 4-6 droplets of bleach per quart or liter of water will kill bacteria and viruses.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Ben,

I don't need any chemicals at all with the Sawyer Filter.

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/biological.htm

0.10 Micron

Here is the blurp from their website:

Biological Filtration: removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria like salmonella, cholera, and E. coli. And 6 log (99.9999%) of all Protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium. You will find these removal rates to equal or exceed competitive options. EPA guidelines allow ten times more Protozoa left in the water than we allow.

Interestingly, the link above now shows that they have their own gravity filter system.

No weights are listed, but it looks heavy.

Sawyer makes a larger filter that also removes viruses.

Thanks for the shelf life info on the tablets…think that it is longer than the shelf life of the AM that I have in my gear closet.

I'll get some as back up.

There are only two ways that I know of that would cause my filter to fail…I take a fall and crack the filter casing or if I opened up the filter and poked around the insides and damaged the tubes inside. (I'd have to be stupid to do that).

As usual, you are a wealth of information…thanks.

-Tony

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Oops, I forgot you use the Sawyer purifier!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've used AquaMira on pristine alpine water. I've used it on murky, algae filled water in Los Angeles canyons. Warm water and cold water. Highly questionable sources and sources that would surely needed no treatment.
    I've under dosed.
    I've overdosed.
    I've waited too long and too little.

I'm alive and well!

Caution is good, but in many cases I believe we've become a bit too paranoid about our water.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Ben,

Actually, I don't use the purifier….just their standard filter for biological stuff, which covers everything except viruses.

-Tony

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools