Topic

OK, Fess Up! How Many of You…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 4, 2008 at 9:23 pm

How many of you, in your quest to shave weight, have purchased a UL gear piece — returned or sold it later because it didn't work — then bought it again because you sooo want it to work? This pathological behavior so prevalent among gear freaks (that's us) came up in a PM conversation with a fellow BPL member.

Share your story so we can all benefit from this therapy session!

Moi, I started off with my beloved Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 SL — and I still use it as my solo palace. However, I wanted a second UL tent for those strenuous hikes where every ounce counts!

I started off with the Lunar Solo. Loved everything about it but kept wishing for extra headroom. So I sold it and bought the Tarptent Rainbow instead. Nice!

But then, the siren songs of gram weenies started again. I sold the Rainbow and bought the Gossamer Gear The One. Only then did I finally realized that I really needed (wanted) that extra interior space. Period.

So, I bought a Rainbow — again — and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

How about you guys? John Carter, David Ure, et. al. — I know you guys have skeletons in your gear closets! So come clean…

PostedDec 4, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Do I get to charge your insurance a few hundred bucks an hour if I can get your new purchase to make you feel all warm and fuzzy?
I've been looking at the Double Rainbow, but need to unload some more unused gear to free up space/money before I can justify it.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 4, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Christopher:

You're on your own, man. In our quest for that ever-elusive holy grail of UL gear, we ALL have stuff that we'd like to unload just so we can buy more! :)

A little more therapy, and I might be ready to divulge just how many, many filters/purifiers I have bought, tried, and sold…

PostedDec 4, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Hah! I've come to realize it's more about function than it is UL. UL can improve function at times, but we each have to decide where to compromise. See my post suggesting using a metal film camera instead of a cheap plastic digiwhizbang camera. I'm about to blow UL out of the water once I find a pack that will comfortably hold my Korona 7×17 camera (about 11 pounds before adding lenses, tripod, filmholders).
On the bright side, this is UL in comparison to other cameras in its class.

David Stenberg BPL Member
PostedDec 5, 2008 at 6:30 am

I am starting to call it my economic stimulus plan. We all need to help the cottage industries! I think I have bought and sold four Gatewood Capes and four different Nunatak Quilts. Where is the kick back. If you buy 4 of something don't you get one free!

Jay Wilkerson BPL Member
PostedDec 5, 2008 at 7:10 am

I admit it- I own 2 Mountain-Smith "Ghost" packs. Why? Because I think that a friend will need it when I turn him or her on to UL backpacking. Oh ya don't forget my four WM bags and five various sizes of cookpots. Gear Anonymous hear I come. G.A. instead of A.A.!!!

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedDec 5, 2008 at 8:41 am

For me, it was the snow peak giga power gs-100 stove. This was my first stove which wasn't an MSR liquid fuel stove. A year or two later I was given a Burton Optimus Cruz. I noticed that the Burton burned a lot hotter that the Giga Power. By this time I had switch to alchohol for most solo trips and only used the canister on group trips where a faster boiling time was often quite useful. So I sold the snow peak. Later I notice that the number of spills or near spills went up significantly… I think it's the 3 arms of burton to the 4 arms of the snow peak. I decided a slow stove that I didn't regularly knock the pot off of was better than one that boiled faster, so I purchased the giga power gs-100 for the second time. The burton has been moved to our earthquake go bag and is used as a loaner.

–mark

M G BPL Member
PostedDec 5, 2008 at 8:46 am

I know there are many WM fans on here so this may sound like blasphemy but I have to admit I am on my second ultralite and I am still not happy with this bag. Love the idea but I guess I'm just a cold sleeper. This bag does not keep me warm at night. Even with good insulation underneath.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...