Topic

Poncho Tarps and Staying Dry

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Jed Augustine BPL Member
PostedDec 4, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Hey y'all-

I've been trying to figure out what to do about using a poncho tarp and not getting wet after I set up camp but need to do something outside the tarp. The simplest, cheapest, and lightest solution I have thought of is to bring along an umbrella, such as the Birdiepal swing liteflex (7.3 oz/8 oz for silver metallic coqting). I like this solution because it is a multiuse item, providing extra production for the main shelter, a cook area shelter, quick protection for light, windless rain storms, a sunblock, etc. However, I wonder if this is the best solution as it is heavier than the lightest rain jackets.

What do poncho tarp users do out there to stay dry in the daily hustle and bustle of camp? Would a wind shirt suffice for such limited exposure?

Thanks in advance. I hope all is well out there.

Jed

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedDec 5, 2008 at 2:16 am

Hi Jed,
I had thought about this aswell and came up with the same solution…an umbrella. Only problem is that my cuben poncho tarp weighs ~4 oz and bringing an umbrella would offset any weight savings. I have opted to just wear a windshirt in those situations (keep your outside journeys short though :)), or if it's really nice, just go shirtless!

Bob Bankhead BPL Member
PostedDec 5, 2008 at 5:52 am

A dedicated "pee bottle" will reduce the number of trips out of the shelter. Yes, women can use them also, but the design for a female model is radically different, Help for the ladies comes in the form of the WizFree device sold here at BPL, which allows use of the male version.

If you must leave for other reasons, and if social circumstances allow, nudity works well also. Skin is totally waterproof and dries quickly on a bandana upon returning to the shelter.

PostedDec 5, 2008 at 9:27 am

I use the Gatewood Cape for 99% of my trips…

1) if rain is definite I sometimes leave it and bring my TT Virga and if a LOT of rain my SD single tent

2) if I think it could rain (50/50) I've brought one of those cheap "emergency ponchos" that you can buy at Wal-Mart – you see people buying them at ball games from the concession stand when they aren't prepared. Very small, very light, very cheap (both in cost and construction) but they work for set up (worst thing is getting to your site and realizing you have to take off your tent to set it up) and having to get out.

3) My normal method – I've been surprised many a time. I ALWAYS carry a lawn size Hefty bag – it has so many uses I can't list them all. But, I have had to tear head and arm holes in it and wear it as a rain-proof vest. Works great. About 1 – maybe 2 ounces.

Mina Loomis BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2008 at 1:59 pm

There is a section in Lightweight Backpacking and Camping, in Chapter 16 Hiking Efficiency, beginning on p. 317, about poncho tarp camping in heavy, continuous rain. In the morning getting ready to pack up, raining, tarp still pitched. He says he is wearing DWR clothing, and that this is effective enough to go out into the rain to pee and retrieve the bear bag, and still be dry. He doesn't say in that section what this DWR clothing is, but in the SUL gear list on pp. 309-311 a GoLite Wisp HP windshirt, water-repellent according to GoLite, is listed, and Cloudveil Prospector pants. Prospector pants no longer appear on the Cloudveil site but a web search turns up that it is a softshell-type, so it probably is DWR.

I've thought about the Birdiepal umbrella too–I got one but haven't used it much yet. Weight similar to rainsuit. I might be getting a Gatewood Camp for a winter holiday gift. If so I'll have to figure all this out too…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...