Topic

My little baggie of important dinky stuff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My little baggie of important dinky stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Laurence, how big are your teeth?
    To answer your question- it depends, if you watched my 14 year old it would be gone in about 3 brushings, I get about 25 to 35 out of one. I use about 1/2 a pea size. YMMV
    BTW- I use the travel size when I travel not when I hike, I think the travel size is way to heavy. I use baking soda in a small BPL mini dropper bottle. I can squeeze out a small amount onto my brush and also use the baking soda for other needs if they come up.
    I can't use Bonners- I hate the taste of soap. My mom would think I liked the taste of soap given the number of time I had my mouth washed out as a kid. I now have a very "clean" vocabulary.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Yes!

The toothpaste tube is totally a minor little bit of weight. Nothing to stress about.

But – The DOTS were fun to make. So, that's about as technical and nerdy an answer as I have.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

i lived in china several years & my wife is from japan – we got these teeny tiny toothpaste tubes from hotels over there (haven't found them for sale anywhere here yet, but haven't done a real vigorous internet search yet either)

i haven't weighed one, but they are roughly 1/10 the size of the typical "trial size" tubes here. can't weigh much at all & i made one last on a 5day backpack (i think they are meant for single use)

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

hahahaha

minimum order: 10,000 dozen (i'll keep looking, unless a few thousand BPL members wanna go in w/ me?)

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=Hotel+Toothpaste&Country=&CatId=0&IndexArea=product_en&ssk=y

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I've gone the Dr. B's route, but I was researching toothpowder for a while before that. Never tried it but it sounded like the ticket if you need the toothpaste flavor and whatnot.

Lots of different brands, but here is one.

http://www.eco-dent.com/dailycare-specialcare-toothpowders.htm

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Hiking the PCT last year I brought a semi-used tube and it made it to Tehachapi or so (550 miles or so, a bit over a month) with a little still in it. I used it very sparingly.

I've been getting ready to hit the PCT again and this time I filled my travel-sized tube full. I think it'll last at least 3 months, maybe the whole way. It took a long time and a lot of patience to refill it so I don't mind carrying the whole thing.

Here's my bag of little stuff. Not as small and light as you all, but it's for a 4 month trip.

My small items

Items 1-5 are pocket items. Number 5 is my repackaged DEET which I won't always carry. I hope to find an even smaller bottle for it because even that one is too big. Number 1 is my repackaged sunscreen. It'll probably last the entire trip since I wear long sleeves.

#7 is Immodium. One dose. I hope that's enough. #8 is neosporin in a sample foil packet in a tiny ziploc. I hope to refill it if I use it up. #9 is Ibuprofen, #13 is vicodin.

Number 14 is my emergency waterproof matches kit, repackaged in a small vial that held candy coloring powder. I bring 3 matches and 3 trick birthday candles with sandpaper glued to the vial. I might not carry this until mid-September.

Number 10 are my reading glasses. Number 11 is a needle in a pencil lead refill container. I used the needle a lot last year. Popping blisters, sewing broken shoes, attempting make-my-own projects on the trail…

The box in number 12 is a small bar of soap inside a bicycle patch kit box. I found a number of places on the PCT where I could take a shower but not in a hotel, so I will carry a little soap. The original cardboard box has disintegrated so this plastic box seems good. The circle things are hair bands. I have long hair. I cannot survive without hair bands.

The orange dry-bag will also include my cellphone, which is quite heavy, and at times it will even include my camera battery charger. Not light but sometimes it is not practical to retrieve these items by mail.

I probably have too many bandaids. I probably should not carry the moleskin. It's leftover from last year and if I didn't use it then, why would I use it now?

Everything fits in the black bag.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Nice!

I love these numbered photos!

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Kit

This is my little ditty bag contents

Item 1 Aloksak

Items 2-11 first aid kit
    2-triple antibiotic, 3-mole skin, 4-tylenol/advil in zip bag, 5-assorted gauze & band-aids, 6-wound cleanser repackaged, 7-alcohol pads, 8-scissors from a sewing kit, 9-safety pins, 10-tweezers, 11-mirror taped on sides and back made from tiles at hobby store.

Items in 12- repackaged sunscreen, deet, Dr Bonners, bleach

Items in 13- tent and equipment repairs, zip ties, needle large enough to thread dental floss, patch, 3' cord, seam sealer, matches in zip bag

All items 2-11 & 13 fit in Aloksak total weight – 2.3oz
    Items 12-I use more often and are pocket or cook kit items.

I keep 20" of duct tape wrapped around my hiking poles.

Fire starter kit contents, 2-cotton balls, 1-esbit tab cut into 4 pieces all fits in a 35mm film canister.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Thanks to tips from this thread I picked up some of the ecodent tooth powder in a local health food store. The 2-oz bottle is labeled as sufficient for 200 brushings. 100 brushings an ounce… and as it turns out, what seems to be plenty for 2 weeks plus, wrapped into a foil tube, weighs about 0.15 oz. Much better than 1.25 oz full travel size! Actually, my very roughly eye-measured amounts suggested .08 oz should be fine for a couple weeks if used sparingly. Cool!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The reality is that you don't actually NEED toothpaste to clean your teeth. Most of the work is done by the mechanical brushing action. That is not a message you will get from the toothpaste companies, but check with your dentist to confirm.

Cheers

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I like that you (JJ) have simply stabbed your needle in some foam. I may swap out my needle in the pencil lead container for foam, or else I'll get me some pencil leads and a mechanical pencil for journaling instead of a pen.

John Fry

@m6amba

have you guys seen those new single use toothbrushes?
    they have tooth paste on them already, and have a floss pick on the other end….
    the colgate wisp
    http://www.packagingdigest.com/article/CA6647938.html
    granted its not my philips sonicare elite tothbrush, but im not at home…

i just picked up a pack to try…only downside…not biodegradable… :(

i have always used small toothbrush from dentist, and travel toothpaste….going to switch to baking soda this year, i dont mind the taste
    but im VERY interested in giving the toothpaste dots a try, what a neat idea!

David Brunstein

@ariztazer

Hey Mike:

Cool kit! Thanks for posting this.

Can you share with us the exact type of containers you use for aqua mira, sunscreen, Dr B;s, etc. Did you purchase them all on this site?

It's a little tough to make out the sizes from the photo.

THanks,

Lucky

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Packing%20Systems/Storage%20Containers/index.html?

the above is a link to the BPL page with a listing of storage containers. The tiny dropper bottles are awesome.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools