Topic

SUL 1100 Ti in stock again

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedDec 8, 2008 at 9:57 am

Denis, your little ones are beautiful. I'd keep that picture in your wallet. :)
We expect delivery soon aswell, probably within the week. We're nervous, but ready for it.

PostedDec 8, 2008 at 10:21 am

To install Ti spoke bail:

Mark spot for punching holes. Be sure to allow for clearance for depth of pot lid.
Punch hole allowing for depth of lid.
Punch hole allowing for depth of lid.

Punch holes (I use a 3/32" hole punch from Harbor Freight Tools). Holes should be as close to exactly opposite each other as possible.

Start bending spoke from "bead" end and curve to match diameter of pot lid. Begin curve about 1/4" to 3/8" from "bead". This allows for lid clearance.
Begin curve 1/.4" to 3/8" from bead
Begin curve 1/4" to 38" from bead.

When you have a 180 degree bend, insert spoke bail into punched hole to check curve. Adjust bend as required.

With spoke bail in place, position bail along pot rim and mark location of hole for bending the "hook" end.

Grip spoke with pliers and bend spoke end toward center of curve, slightly more than 90 degrees.

Place lid on pot and mount bail on pot to check fit. Adjust fit as required. The bail should just clear lid.
Bil should just clear lid
Bail should just clear lid.

Clip off excess spoke and file end smooth.
Clip off excess spoke and file smooth
Clip off excess spoke and file smooth.
Bead end of spoke
Bead end of spoke.

You're done.

PostedDec 8, 2008 at 10:31 am

Steve,
They've got their bails installed (they'er weened) and are ready to boil.

I should be passing out cigars.

PostedDec 8, 2008 at 10:38 am

Ha..I'm trying to get a bun in the oven, but so far I'm falling short of what it takes by a bit. :-( Anyone wanna be a donor?

Thanks for the description Denis. I appreciate it!

PostedDec 8, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Andrew,

I was roaming on my Blackberry and couldn't post photos. Take another look at my edited post.

Denis

PostedDec 9, 2008 at 11:34 am

Denis – where did you get your titanium bike spokes? I called our local popular bike repair place, and he said they are no longer cool (something about too much flexibility), so no one sells them anymore except maybe online.

PostedDec 9, 2008 at 11:47 am

Kathleen,

Ask your bike repair place for DT Revolution spokes (Stainless), they weigh about the same as titanium spokes (Which are thicker).

I made some bails almost identical to Denis' but I use plain 15/16 gage titanium spokes because I had them laying around from wheel builds. My bails weigh 3.9 grams (compared to 3 grams for Denis' bails). So even standard spokes are very light. A bail made from a DT revolution spoke will probably weigh just over 3 grams.

Cheers

PostedDec 9, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Kathleen,
I got mine from a "racers" bike shop in San Anselmo, Marin County. Marin is the only place where the really expensive stuff is usually stocked. I only got 10 of them and have used all but 2. They were used and I paid a buck a piece. I just went through the box and picked the straightest ones. If Ti spokes have fallen from "cool" I'd better get back down there and pick up a few more. I only got the Ti spokes because they were Ti, and matched the pot material. Since I backpack now and then in Marin (Point Reyes) I have to worry some about the fashion police. They might frown on Titanium pots accessorized with stainless steel bails.

Tim Cheek BPL Member
PostedDec 9, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Denis, Are those concentric circles inside your pot measuring/volume levels? How'd you do that?

PostedDec 9, 2008 at 8:39 pm

It worked! I bought 2 15-gauge spokes from the bike shop (99 cents each) – one for a practice life and one for the real thing. I was surprised I even had a 3/32 punch in my tool bucket. I need to crimp the hooks tighter, but I'll work on that tomorrow. The pot with the spoke doesn't register any heavier than without it on my scale. Goodbye pot grabber forever!

Spoke bail

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2008 at 5:16 am

Good eye Tim – I forgot Denis had done that. I'm definitely performing that upgrade as soon as my little ones arrive. Denis, that was a great idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
Loading...