Topic

SUL 1100 Ti in stock again

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SUL 1100 Ti in stock again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Wow…those look really great. Can you give specifics about the process of installing them?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Denis, your little ones are beautiful. I'd keep that picture in your wallet. :)
    We expect delivery soon aswell, probably within the week. We're nervous, but ready for it.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

To install Ti spoke bail:

Mark spot for punching holes. Be sure to allow for clearance for depth of pot lid.
    Punch hole allowing for depth of lid.
    Punch hole allowing for depth of lid.

Punch holes (I use a 3/32" hole punch from Harbor Freight Tools). Holes should be as close to exactly opposite each other as possible.

Start bending spoke from "bead" end and curve to match diameter of pot lid. Begin curve about 1/4" to 3/8" from "bead". This allows for lid clearance.
    Begin curve 1/.4" to 3/8" from bead
    Begin curve 1/4" to 38" from bead.

When you have a 180 degree bend, insert spoke bail into punched hole to check curve. Adjust bend as required.

With spoke bail in place, position bail along pot rim and mark location of hole for bending the "hook" end.

Grip spoke with pliers and bend spoke end toward center of curve, slightly more than 90 degrees.

Place lid on pot and mount bail on pot to check fit. Adjust fit as required. The bail should just clear lid.
    Bil should just clear lid
    Bail should just clear lid.

Clip off excess spoke and file end smooth.
    Clip off excess spoke and file smooth
    Clip off excess spoke and file smooth.
    Bead end of spoke
    Bead end of spoke.

You're done.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Steve,
    They've got their bails installed (they'er weened) and are ready to boil.

I should be passing out cigars.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Ha..I'm trying to get a bun in the oven, but so far I'm falling short of what it takes by a bit. :-( Anyone wanna be a donor?

Thanks for the description Denis. I appreciate it!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Andrew,

I was roaming on my Blackberry and couldn't post photos. Take another look at my edited post.

Denis

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Steve,
    We've christened ours: Manny, Moe, and Jack.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Denis – where did you get your titanium bike spokes? I called our local popular bike repair place, and he said they are no longer cool (something about too much flexibility), so no one sells them anymore except maybe online.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Kathleen,

Ask your bike repair place for DT Revolution spokes (Stainless), they weigh about the same as titanium spokes (Which are thicker).

I made some bails almost identical to Denis' but I use plain 15/16 gage titanium spokes because I had them laying around from wheel builds. My bails weigh 3.9 grams (compared to 3 grams for Denis' bails). So even standard spokes are very light. A bail made from a DT revolution spoke will probably weigh just over 3 grams.

Cheers

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Thanks! I will give them a try.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Kathleen,
    I got mine from a "racers" bike shop in San Anselmo, Marin County. Marin is the only place where the really expensive stuff is usually stocked. I only got 10 of them and have used all but 2. They were used and I paid a buck a piece. I just went through the box and picked the straightest ones. If Ti spokes have fallen from "cool" I'd better get back down there and pick up a few more. I only got the Ti spokes because they were Ti, and matched the pot material. Since I backpack now and then in Marin (Point Reyes) I have to worry some about the fashion police. They might frown on Titanium pots accessorized with stainless steel bails.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Denis, Are those concentric circles inside your pot measuring/volume levels? How'd you do that?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Tim,
    I posted a thread, with photos, on the MYOG forum: "Marking your Ti pot." It's on page 4. I don't know how to insert a link but I copied the address here. Hope it works.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16329

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

It worked! I bought 2 15-gauge spokes from the bike shop (99 cents each) – one for a practice life and one for the real thing. I was surprised I even had a 3/32 punch in my tool bucket. I need to crimp the hooks tighter, but I'll work on that tomorrow. The pot with the spoke doesn't register any heavier than without it on my scale. Goodbye pot grabber forever!

Spoke bail

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Good eye Tim – I forgot Denis had done that. I'm definitely performing that upgrade as soon as my little ones arrive. Denis, that was a great idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools