Topic

Paramo Waterproof Directional Clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Paramo Waterproof Directional Clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    David Wood
    BPL Member

@redyeti

Locale: South Eastern UK

Michael – Not being expert in the way the whole system works I can't be 100% sure of my answer; but in principal I see no reason at all why a liner jacket wouldn't work perfectly well with any outer layer that was capable of slowing a raindrop sufficiently to prevent an aerosol that would penetrate the liner (i.e. something windproof).

From what I hear of the new Paramo offering (based on my idea perhaps? I've not asked them. And I made it public domain so I'm not worried if it is – only pleased :) they plan to have a range of outer shells which I assume will offer more than simply colour changes. I assume it will be fit, weight, features. But I also expect the shells will all share the basic feature of slowing the rain drop velocity sufficiently.

> Why isn’t any American company using this?

I don't know but can only imagine that it's such a bizarre concept that no one has bothered to look past the oddity of it to see if it really works. It appears to me to have taken longer to get "traction" in its home market than its performance deserves.

But also I think your next question has some bearing on this:

> Why are the designs so darn ugly?

I just don't know!

Though to be fair, although the older designs are horrible – the newer stuff is looking far more technical.

One thing that's not been mentioned is that it seems more and more Mountain Rescue teams in the UK are choosing Paramo as their main kit. I know Cioch (who make their own jackets from Paramo's materials) have supplied a second set to the Cairngorm MRT for example. And they cover one of the very toughest areas in the UK with true Arctic conditions over the winter.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

Thank you for the great replies Chris and David- I think I'm sold…

Andy Davison
    Spectator

@furtech

Your comments about using a separate liner and outer are interesting as I've tested a wide variety of fabrics in just this configuration. However, none of them work quite as well as the construction of the "pump liner" and it is much easier to damage or contaminate the DWR on the inner garment when it's not protected by the outer.

As far as drying is concerned, I tend to sit around in the wet kit, cooking and drinking and wearing it dry. It dries much faster than any membrane garment. I then find it's quite comfortable to sleep in – I always do on Alpine bivis, to save weight.

The wetting of the outer can actually help in the way that these systems work, because water likes to stick to water and thus gets drawn out of the system. Even a cold outer fabric can dry in the wind. This is a big difference with any membrane clothing system (softshell or hardshell) which can't pass liquid water/condensation outwards.

That said, any garment system feels colder when wet. In case you are interested, here are some simple calculations on waterchill in insulation:
    http://furtech.typepad.com/furtech/2007/12/humidity-and-in.html

Andy Davison
    Spectator

@furtech

I wonder if the reason for a lack of interest in this system among American companies is due to the low hydrostatic head and the risk of litigation when a manufacturer claims something is waterproof?
    With these systems it is possible to get wet. But then I've been wet in many waterproofs that were guaranteed to keep me dry… and been drier in Paramo / FurTech than friends wearing just such hardshells in exactly the same conditions!

P S

@petesull

If you're ever going to try Paramo, now is the time. I was looking to try it last year but a 2.1 – 2.2 exchange rate with the dollar meant £150 = $300+. With the exchange rate dropping under 1.5:1 at times, £150 is $225. If you want to save more, find the online sites that don't charge VAT (15%+ tax!) to customers in the U.S.

Question: you said the Aspira smock was short–it looks like a long jacket in your photo. How much longer is the Aspira jacket than the smock?

If you like the fabric, also check out:

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk – they use the Paramo fabric in custom made jackets. They are very helpful and I've heard great things about their customer support. I've been eying the Glamaig for a while. A lot of tall, athletic builds on this site complain a lot about sizing–this is the place to go.

http://www.furtech.co.uk – fabric that works just like Paramo. In addition, great customer service and very helpful. New pants this year got great reviews at http://www.outdoorsmagic.com. Make sure to check the sizing info before ordering!

http://www.finisterreuk.com – again, great guys that will help and answer every question you have. By far the best looking Paramo jackets. The Storm Track is pretty much perfection if you have the dough to spend. Now that they have XXL, my 6'4 frame will fit (sizing is slimmer than regular)

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Peter, the Aspira Smock measures 28 inches/71cms from shoulder to hem at the front in the medium size. I don't have an Aspira Jacket so I can't give you the length of that.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

I've slept in Paramo a few times, but all in Colorado's cold, dry winter, in my homemade 15 degree down quilt pushed into winter use with lots of clothing. So of course the jacket was dry when getting in the sleeping bag.

No idea why this isn't known in the US. Why doesn't Paramo distribute over here? They had one distributer here a couple years ago, where I got mine, but now none.
    Maybe they just want to keep us in the dark ages.

Or maybe American companies don't want to sell their customers a jacket that works so well and lasts so long that you don't have to buy another one!

Martin Pomije

@cold_weather_cyclist

Chris,
    Could you tell us all of the clothing that you were wearing in the -35 C conditions? How comfortable were you? Did you use a belay jacket during periods of inactivity?

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Chris,
    Could you tell us all of the clothing that you were wearing in the -35 C conditions? How comfortable were you? Did you use a belay jacket during periods of inactivity?

Martin,

I've worn Paramo in -35C temperatures on several occasions and have always worn a lightweight base layer (synthetic before merino wool appeared then merino wool) and a thin fleece or fleece equivalent (Polartec 100, Power Stretch) underneath plus a fleece hat, liner gloves and insulated gloves or mitts. When moving that has been adequate to keep me comfortable without overheating – indeed on long climbs in still air I've needed to remove the fleece layer. When stationary for more than a few minutes it definitely isn't and I've always carried a down jacket, most recently the Rab Neutrino Endurance.

I've appended a list of all the clothing I had in 2006 in Yellowstone when we skied in temperatures below -20C a few times and were outside in -35 one evening. When skiing the temperatures were coldest early in the day so I started out with the Primaloft Vest over the Paramo jacket, Power Stretch jacket and Smartwool Zip T. By the middle of the day I was usually only wearing the Paramo and the Smartwool.
    Outside the igloo at -35 I was wearing all those clothes with the down jacket on top.

Yellowstone January 06 clothing

Paramo Aspira Smock
    Paramo Alta Trousers
    Rab Neutrino Endurance down jacket
    Berghaus Primaloft Insulated vest
    Lowe Alpine Powerstretch Jacket
    Smartwool Lightweight long johns
    Smartwool Lightweight Zip-T
    Outdoor Designs WindPro hat
    Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap
    Buff
    Royal Robbins Coolmax Extreme Expedition Cap
    Rab Phantom Grip gloves
    Extremities Primaloft mitts
    Black Diamond Shell Gloves with Pile liners
    Smartwool Expedition Socks x 2
    Smartwool Boxer Shorts
    Rab down bootees

SIMON TEW

@simontew

Locale: Snowdonia/Lake District/Peaks

From the description of how the inner 'pump liner' works, would it make any sense to produce a sock made from this stuff, albeit perhaps with a wicking inner to distribute moisture better.

Or would the pressure from a wet boot or trail shoe just overwhelm the 'pumping' action?

I guess that would be the case on the sole of the foot, but elsewhere?

How thick is the pump liner material?

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I get wet elbows when I rest my weight on the wet pads of my aerobars when cycling. So it is quite easy to push water through the pump liner, so perhaps not pump liner under the foot.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Chris,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one knew they were going to be dealing with sub-zero weather, Paramo type clothing probably wouldn't be the optimum choice, would it?

Since it would certainly be dry but cold, I would choose the lightest weight to warmth ratio of clothing.

Whereas, Paramo sounds like a spectacular choice in mixed freezing/thawing/wet conditions where the clothing does many things well and can substitute for several other garments, justifying it's somewhat heavy weight.

Is this a reasonable assessment?

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Michael,

I think Paramo is the optimum choice when moving in sub-zero weather if there is likely to be any wind. That does make a significant difference. In windless conditions I've hiked in a fleece top and been warm but even a slight breeze cuts straight through and chills you. I like Paramo because it is so breathable whilst being windproof. I don't know of anything with a better warmth to weight ratio that performs as well in cold, windy weather. If I was forest hiking and not expecting any wind a windshirt and light fleece might be adequate and would weigh less.

When stationary in sub zero weather down clothing is the optimum choice of course. It's far superior to anything else.

By the way. is that sub zero Fahrenheit (-17.8 Celsius) or sub zero Celsius?

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Simon,

As Derek says the pump liner compresses quite easily. It's only a few millimeters thick. It wouldn't make good socks.

Andy Howell

@ecotrend

In cold and damp conditions Paramo really isn't heavy. As Chris says you wear it when you know that you will be wearing it all day. Bulk is more of a problem with packing than weight.

I have worn Paramo on the TGO Challenge. I've also walked the Challenge with a conventional layer system and the comparison is interesting.

On my last Challenge I wore a three layer solution. I used a thin baselayer, a Montane Kinetic top and a Montane Quickfire Event jacket. I think I also carried a Montane windshirt. These are all pretty light pieces of kit for their performance.

By contrast on my first Challenge I used a Paramo Velez jacket. This was worn over the same baselayer but I didn't carry a mid layer or windshirt (the Paramo does both jobs).

There was little weight difference between the two systems, with the Paramo version an ounce or two lighter.

As Chris has said Scottish weather is a little unpredictable. On the Paramo Challenge I had a warn first day. The Velez was simply strapped on the top of the pack. I think the next 12 days were spent wearing the jacket – as Chris says the venting is very good.

On my second Challenge the weather was better and the Velez would have been off more. But these smaller Paramo jackets can easily be carried, and there's no overall weight gain.

In many ways Paramo is more convenient because it is designed not to be taken off, i.e. you regulate temperature using the venting systems.

Next year I'll probably be walking across Scotland using the 3rd Element Jacket, which can be stripped down to for a gilet.

Paramo waterproofs are not for warm climates. But in cool and wet weather there is nothing more comfortable!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>By the way. is that sub zero Fahrenheit (-17.8 Celsius) or sub zero Celsius?

I assume it's just "below freezing"…

If I had a Paramo jacket I would no doubt enjoy putting it through it's paces. I am unlikely to ever do something like the TGO challenge, but hey sound like ideal jackets for skiing and boarding!

SIMON TEW

@simontew

Locale: Snowdonia/Lake District/Peaks

Chris, there was a question posted about fit: whether the jackets/smocks should be trim or loose. I couldn't see an answer in the discussion. Could you comment please? I'm on the verge of going for the Velez smock, and either XL or XXL would seem suitable as I'm quite tall, so I'd like to know your thoughts if possible.

Ian Rock

@scallywag

Locale: Crag-fast in a world of hurt.

Paramo tends to be quite roomy. In the UK it has the reputation of being overtly baggy, but I s'pose the best thing is to try it on before ordering.
    In my opinion, the tightness of the coat is only relevant in what you want to put under it. i.e. the Aspira is more roomy than the Velez because it is supposed to be used in colder conditions with more layers underneath.

In the UK we also have Furtech and Cioch which use the same fabric but can offer different cuts and features – Cioch is also made to measure.

Hope that helps.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Simon, it doesn't make any difference to the performance whether Paramo garments are close-fitting or loose fitting. As Ian says it depends on what you want to wear under them. I like garments big enough to wear a microfleece and a a base layer underneath.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have recived a lot messages over the last few months asking for information on Paramo so decided to bump this review by Chris Townsend.

I have been using a Valez Adventure Light Smock and Cascada trousers for the past 3 Michigan winters and absolutely love them.

Paramo cannot be purchased in the US but Jackson Sports in Ireland will ship to the
    US at a reasonable rate and will deduct the sales tax (which us about 20%)

Ross Mellows
    BPL Member

@spiritburner

Locale: N.E. England (UK)

It's the dogs danglies in winter – what else is there to know? My only concern would be on an extended trip of several weeks/months as the outer fabric works best with an effective DWR. This is easily washed in – not so easy on an extended trip.
    For this weekend warrior I wouldn't be without it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Jackson Sports in Ireland will ship to the US at a reasonable rate and will deduct the sales tax (which us about 20%)"

Big +1 to Jackson Sports. I've ordered from them a few times (including last week, as a matter of fact) for things you simply can't get, or get easily, in the U.S. Shipping is always fast for in stock items, prices are very reasonable, and Dion is very good about answering your questions in a timely manner.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Ross,

We spoke last week about the Hillie Enan on Treklite.

I only recently washed/reproofed mine after about 70-80days of use and it
    was still shedding rain well.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Doug,

I did not see your reply earlier.

Jackson's are great to deal with, when I lived back home in Ireland
    I uses to purchase most of my gear from them.

I recently ordered some Buffalo mitts from them and they were here in a week or so.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I recently ordered some Buffalo mitts from them and they were here in a week or so."

Funny! I ordered the Buffalo mitts last week, as well as a Buffalo Special 6 shirt and hood.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools