Topic

speaking of sleeping bags

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
victoria maki BPL Member
PostedDec 2, 2008 at 6:55 pm

i currently own an older big agnes horsethief with the newer big agnes blow up mattress. i do like the bag as it has plenty of leg room (have tried mummy style bags, but can't stand them). i am looking to buy a new bag. i am intriqed with the mont bell u.l. down hugger. it claims that it stretches. i will be hiking on the john muir trail in july and aug. of 2009. has anyone had any experiance with this bag and would a 30*F. bag be enough for the cool temps. at night?

PostedDec 3, 2008 at 11:19 am

I have no experience with the MB huggers, but your warmth when it's freezing outside will depend on many things, including what else you can wear in your sleeping bag (jacket, trousers, gloves, balaclava, socks etc…), what kind of shelter you are in ( tarpt, tarptent, bivy, double-skinned tent), and how warm you generally sleep.

PostedDec 3, 2008 at 11:29 am

I used the 25F synthetic bag in the low 30's recently and was fine. I wasn't wearing a base layer or socks, so I'm sure you could use the 30F version at pretty low temperatures with clothing. I traded mine in on the down version, but haven't gotten to try it yet.

As far as the stretch stitching, I absolutely love it. I bought it because I'm a big guy, but it still has plenty of extra room to move around. The last time I was out, I woke up in the fetal position. When I extended my legs, the bottom couple of feet of the bag were freezing cold, because I wasn't using them. I guess that's another possible use for the drawstring at the bottom. lol

victoria maki BPL Member
PostedDec 3, 2008 at 6:41 pm

thanks allison and roman for your imput. i decided today to just keep the big agnes bag and use laying to sleep in. i own a silk liner, will wear merino wool long johns and a pair of silk long johns that i found at local store today. also a pair of socks and hat if need be. the silk long johns were only 20 dollars apiece. sure beats $289.00. maybe in the future, when i win the lottery, i'll invest in a new bag…he he

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedDec 3, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Just in case you succumb to the siren songs of new gear — be advised that the "down hugger" you mentioned up above aren't especially stretchable. They are also relatively snug. I own two of them.

For truly stretchable, MontBell has an entirely different line — designated "super stretch". Those are the ones you would want if you crave space.

victoria maki BPL Member
PostedDec 4, 2008 at 9:24 am

thanks, benjamin. i did not know there were super stretch bags avaiable through mont bell….i will have to look into them…oh,wait. i haven't won yet….

Mark Hurd BPL Member
PostedDec 4, 2008 at 12:04 pm

I have the Montbell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger # 2 and #3. I really love them. Very stretchy. The stretch is very gentle so you don't feel like your bound up in a rubber band. They have a 3/4 zipper that lets you use them like a quilt with a foot sack for warmer conditions. I would say that most folks on this site that own them think that the temperature ratings by Montbell are pretty accurate. Good luck with your decision and your hike.

Happy Trails,

-Mark

P.S.- The U.L Alpine Down Hugger I think is the bag that Ben mentioned. Look for the Super Stretch or S.S. in the Montbell name for the stretchy ones.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...