Topic

Why windstopper for liner gloves?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 2, 2008 at 2:08 pm

So what is Windstopper even worth for liner gloves? Yes it stops the wind, but in the gloves I have tried so far the material is so thin that your hand gets cold just from the contact. Is there a real advantage over a regular liner that is made out of a 100wt fleece? I have asked people at retail camping stores what to do about this and they said just to put a liner underneath it. Geez, isn't that what I am trying to buy in the first place?

PostedDec 2, 2008 at 10:36 pm

I have different types of Windstopper gloves. Some are very thin- not so much fleece as close-fitting, nylon gloves (Manzella Silkweight). These do not insulate very much, but block wind for high-energy activities like running or biking. Here, windproof is more important than warmth due to the high energy output.

For cold-weather hiking, I need more insulation than these could possibly provide. I have used Windstopper gloves such as the OR Gripper, though they are even too thin (I have an old pair of Mountain Hardwear Winstopper gloves that are very thick fleece, these are better for winter).

I think at issue might be the term "liner gloves". If that term refers to anything that might eventually go inside an overmitt shell, then there will be very little constistency among "liners". 100 weight fleece and OR ExtraVert gloves would both be liners, but are hardly comparable.

For me, a liner glove is a baselayer, next-to-skin glove. Powerstretch or thin fleece examplifies this. I wear mine inside a softshell work glove for winter backpacking, mountaineering and ice climbing. Both can go inside various waterproof shell mitts if needed. If this is what "liner glove" means to you- then Windstopper has no place in my view as it will impede breathability inside your thicker work glove.
If liner just means any glove inside a shell, and you need more insulation, Winstopper might be worth while in the thicker fleece or softshell varities (like the OR StormTracker- Windstopper comes in many variations). Of course, when sized correctly you can wear a "liner" inside a heavy Windstopper fleece glove as well (Powerstretch is really good for this).

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 3, 2008 at 8:03 am

I agree with your definition of the liner glove where it actually is used as more of a base layer or a layer by itself.

I guess what would be nice is to have a pair of Windstopper gloves that do have some insulating properties but that also could be stuffed inside some insulated waterproof mitts for when it gets really cold. I guess this does not happen though because Winstopper either ends up being thin and not really useful on its own in cool weather or where it does have some insulation properties but then it is too thick to be used in a component system.

Oh well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...