Topic

Magic Golite Thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Magic Golite Thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Golite has long claimed to use a special hydrophilic thread that swells when wet and seals the seams on their shelters. I don't know if their thread has real technical merit, or is the product of an ambitious marketing manager, but I do know that I've never sealed the seams on my Golite Hut and Hex and have never had leakage.

So, what is this thread? How come nobody else uses it? And, is it available to the MYOG market?

Cheers,

-Mike

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Thru-Hiker has something called Hydrophobe 100% Polyester Thread with Anti-Wicking Finish (near the bottom of the page).

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Isn't most thread hydrophilic (i.e. water-loving)?

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

>> Isn't most thread hydrophilic (i.e. water-loving)?

Yah, I would assume so. In fact, much of the value of seam sealing is to make the thread hydrophobic to reduce wicking.

Nevertheless, counter to the thru-hiker hydrophobic thread, Golite claims that their hydrophilic thread swells when wet and seals the needle holes. Somehow, they seem to get around the wicking problem.

My Golite shelters don't leak. What's going on here?

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Can't it be cotton or some cotton/synthetic mix? I don't know any synthetic material with such properties, possibly because it is not a thing one wants in synthetic fabrics. And I doubt they have it made specially for the purpose.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I don't know the secret behind the thread but it sure works in my Hex 3.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Rasant #75 Polyester / cotton core-spun thread, 1000m

Polyester core thread with cotton surface. Use for tent and tarp seams. Cotton expands when it gets wet so seam will be almost waterproof. Use with #90 or #100 needle.

Rasant is certified according to the Oeko-tex Standard 100 for textiles tested for harmful substances.

Color: Black
    Thread in a roll: 1000m
    Material:70% PES, 30% CO

http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39_92&products_id=782&osCsid=c7d8290585f79ffb0db64f3f6977ed9b

Buy directly from Australia is cheaper.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools