Topic

Crux down pullover: highest warmth to weight ratio?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
PostedDec 1, 2008 at 2:20 am

Crux from the UK has a new down pullover called the Halo. While the overall weight is around 7 oz. which puts it on par with the Mont Bell Inner Down series and is slightly heavier than the Ex Light series. However, the Halo does contain nearly 4 oz. of down which is twice as much as both Montbell models and as much as the Western Mountaineering Flight jacket.

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/crux_clothing_down_halo_top.php

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedDec 1, 2008 at 5:13 am

That is seriously impressive, but I'd need to verify that weight first…

PostedDec 1, 2008 at 5:33 am

Certainly impressive if the weight is accurate. But I am not sure if it beats blizzard survival jacket – 240g (8.46 oz) and warmth of 8 togs (5.2 clo).

Rod Lawlor BPL Member
PostedDec 1, 2008 at 5:58 am

I'm with Steve on this one. They're talking less than 90g for a double layer of downproof fabric. That's equivalent to a 45g wind shirt, assuming the material is wind resistant, and not taking into account the thread in the sewn-through squares.

Pretty impressive if it's true.

PostedDec 1, 2008 at 7:47 am

I know of at least one occasion where the designer confirmed the weight:

"The weights are accurate.
The Halo is a haf-zip (pull-over style) so this saves weight, as well as the very light 20 denier fabric."

PostedDec 1, 2008 at 11:16 am

Certainly impressive, but as an owner of the pre-zipper and pre-handwarmer pocket MontBell UL inner, I would rather carry the weight penalty for both luxuries!!!

PostedDec 2, 2008 at 7:33 pm

For reference:
MB Alpine 6 oz. 800 FP
MB Alpine Light 4 oz. 800 FP
MB UL Down Inner 2 oz. 800 FP

For comparison:

MB Ex Light
* Med total wt approx 5.5 oz.
* Fill wt advertised 1.8 oz. 900 FP down
* Shell wt T-F=S 3.7 oz.
* 7 denier fabric
* Full zip

Crux Halo
* Med total wt approx 7.0 oz.
* Fill wt advertised 3.8 oz. 750 FP down
* Shell wt T-F=S 3.2 oz.
* 20 denier fabric
* Pullover – short zip

How do they do it?
Shorter zipper helps. 1.5 oz total higher weight, plus 0.5 oz off the zipper leaves 2 oz for more down. Just wish the down tubes weren't so small. My Ex Light has the most beautiful finishing on the inside seams, but may add a few grams. I suspect MB will migrate the 7d to other pieces.
The Ex Light is .7" thick, good to ~ 30F with wind layer over, minimally active.

Hey Tom, thanks for the heads-up on this garment, I haven't heard of Crux before. I got the impression it was around 5.5+ oz. of down in the WM Flight jacket, where'd you see 4 oz?

Richard Nisley BPL Member
PostedDec 2, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Paul,

Although WM doesn't spec this value you can calculate it from other specs provided. The material to make this size medium jacket style, with 15 denier nylon fabric, would weigh ~4.9 oz. When BPL reviewed this jacket they said the size medium weighed 9.9 oz versus the 10.5 oz specified by the manufacturer. 9.9 – 4.9 = 5oz of down.

PostedDec 2, 2008 at 8:46 pm

I wonder about consistent model weight sometimes. I weighed my Ex Light at 6.2 oz for the large, and have seen similar reported. In the BPL review *LINK* they say, “measured weight men’s L is 5.7 ounces”.

Does MB use the same 1.8 oz fill in Small thru Large, or do they now add a bit more down than the original BPL weighing? I need to go back and reweigh.

Richard Nisley BPL Member
PostedDec 3, 2008 at 10:22 am

Paul,

MontBell, as well as most other manufacturers, increase the amount of down filling as the garment size goes up. For example, the MontBell Alpine is specified as having 6 oz of down for size medium. Size L has 6.2 oz and size XL has 6.4 oz.

PostedDec 4, 2008 at 3:06 am

British manufacturers use a different system for measuring the fill power of down than Americans. I dont know if 750 British equals 900 American but I do know that, from a British point of view, the American system sounds exaggerated.

te – wa BPL Member
PostedDec 4, 2008 at 5:56 am

Crux also claims to use 850+ fp down in their bags. So if there is any confusion between US and EU ratings, here it is.
so i agree w/ the suspicion that the weight doesnt jive…
montbell-7 denier = 3.7oz
crux-20 denier = 3.2oz
oh yeah?

they claim this bag with 17.8 oz of 850+ fill has a comfort rating of 32°

again, that sounds fishy

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/crux_sleepingbags_torpedo_500.php

Richard Nisley BPL Member
PostedDec 4, 2008 at 9:49 am

Tom,

I looked at the URL you referenced for the Western Mountaineering Flight Series fill weight. I was curious as to why my calculations didn't match the 4 oz the URL listed. I then called Western Mountaineering's headquarters in San Jose, CA five minutes ago. I asked the gentleman who answered their phone what the down fill weight of the size medium Flight Series Jacket was. He said it was 5 oz. I then asked him if the down fill weight had varied during the years the jacket was manufactured. He said no, it has been kept between 4.75 and 5 oz every year that it has been manufactured.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...