Topic

Containers with HEET bringing on a sweat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Containers with HEET bringing on a sweat?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Derek
    Spectator

@dmedlin

Locale: The Whites

Recently on a trip I took a 4oz HDPE plastic container filled with HEET (yellow) and placed inside my beercan pot.
    The temperature was in the 50s-lower 60s during the day and down into the 40s at night. When it was time for dinner, I pulled out my beercan pot with the 4oz bottle of HEET inside to find that it seemed to have "sweat" inside there (a bit of liquid was evident though the bottle did not leak; also there was a bit of a HEET odor). I would then rinse out my stuff and move forward. After the first instance, I put my bottle in a ziplock bag, but it still "sweat" out the next night, even through the bag.

Question: Any ideas how to prevent this?

Question: Any ideas why this happens so badly with HEET?

Joseph Austin

@hnryclay

I always pack the HEET bottle on the outside of my pack. Just an extra precaution on my part to avoid HEET all over everything.

Derek
    Spectator

@dmedlin

Ultimately your suggestion is the best method to avoid this predicament, yet I am wondering if this is the case for everyone/every type of alcohol-type fuels or I just happened to have prime conditions for the condensation/sweating.

Thanks for your input so far!

-Derek

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

Are you sure its heet sweating out and not condensation?

Derek
    Spectator

@dmedlin

My initial feeling is that it is indeed HEET because of the odor. In fact, I put my finger on my tongue and it definitely didn't just taste like H2O.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

Try and light it next time I don't think the alcohol could come through the plastic. If the heet is somehow getting out of the bottle it could be kind of dangerous to store anywhere considering how explosive the stuff is.

Brendan Dahl

@brendan-dahl

I think its a problem with the lid.

I noticed a similar problem using a mini arrowhead water bottle. I changed lids and haven't noticed a problem since. I also use another small contact lens solution bottle which doesn't have the problem either. Both bottle have been sitting in my basement for a few months and haven't lost any heet so I don't think its going through the plastic.

Derek
    Spectator

@dmedlin

I have saved a few contact solution bottles (4oz), so I will give them a try to see if it does the same. Only problem with those bottles is that you can't see how much you have used!

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I agree it's likely the lid which is probably venting a bit as altitude changes, probably just giving off vapors which then condense.

I have not had trouble carrying alcohol fuel in squirt top bottles or liquid medicine bottles with tight (non child proof) lids.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools