Topic

Can anyone ID these packs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can anyone ID these packs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

Not UL, but this is the one forum that the members know their stuff. I haven't had any luck finding out the models of these anywhere. Their both Gregorys. Thanks in advance for any help!
    Panel loaderTop loader

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Several years ago I sold mine on ebay to a guy from Japan for, no joke, $200.00+

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

I think the top one (the one *without* the square plastic lashing patches) might be a Rock Creek.

Tim, did the Day and a Half have a zippered bottom compartment, as shown in the picture?

How much does it weigh?

Anonymous
    Inactive

John Z is correct in identifying the Rock Creek and I am fairly sure the the one on the right is a Snow Creek. I used the Rock Creek for a couple of years back in the very early 80s but got rid of it, although it was one of the most convenient packs I have used, because it was way too heavy, even back in the 80s. I can't tell how much it weighed but it felt fully loaded before putting any gear in it. I chided Wayne Gregory over the weight and he agreed but said that the market was driven by rock climbers. The test for quality back then was a pack that could withstand "haul duty" up and down a rock face and that making a lightweight pack would put Gregory's reputation at risk for the market forces in effect at that time. One example of the reputation and credibility issue is the Alpenlite brand, lightweight for the times, but experienced a short life span because folks wanted heavy duty packs.

Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

I agree the panel loader is a Rock Creek but the top loader is not a Snow Creek. I have the Snow Creek and it uses a single strap that cinches the top pocket down on the front instead of two straps like the one shown. My Snow Creek weighs 6 lbs, 2 oz. Ouch!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools