Topic

Carrying a larger camera?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Carrying a larger camera?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

I'm hoping Santa Claus brings me a nice 1-1.5lb camera this year to replace my point-and-shoot.

How do you guys carry a larger camera without packing it away in your pack? I've typically carried my camera in Ziploc in a convenient hipbelt pocket or pant pocket; but obviously that won't be possible with a true lensed camera.

I would still like to have convenient access to my camera and a way to store it waterproofed and within hands-reach.

Any ideas? Any flashbacks to the old days of lightweight backpacking before point-and-shoot cameras existed?

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I've taken many trips with a dslr and 2 lenses in a Lowepro Topload Zoom pack. I find the Lowepro brand to be the best. There are various sizes depending on your camera and accessories and some have the AW (all weather) designation that include a cover you can pull over the outside of the pack. This cover is only suitable for light rain.

I attach the camera pack to my shoulder straps just below chest level with two small carabiners and it is always ready to shoot. Depends on the pack and how the shoulder straps are built. This may sound awkward but I have done multiweek trips in rugged terrain in very wet conditions in New Zealand and Patagonia with this setup. Sometimes I place my hand on the pack as I climb or downclimb to steady it. You get used to it. Using trekking poles would be a bit more difficult but then you won't have enough hands to shoot anyway.

I have a Nikon D80 with an 18-70 and 70-210. Nikon and Canon both have 18-200 zoom lenses that could replace the two lenses. If you have an extra lens you can attach a lens pouch to the side of some camera packs, to your hip-belt, in the side pocket of your pack, or stored in your pack until you are ready for more serious shooting.

As for waterproofing I have used a waterproof stuff sack pulled over the outside of the camera pack from the bottom up and cinched around the top. You can also use the Aloksak bags or ziplocs inside the pack or a small waterproof stuff sack inside as well.

I have not found a suitable waterproof camera pack I can utilize attached to my shoulder straps in the manner I prefer. A DIY project I have considered is to glue some closed cell foam to the inside of a small dry bag. Outdoor Research makes a dry bag with a daisy chain up both sides. I could then attack this to my shoulder straps as a chest pouch.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

I carry my DSLR in a padded case slung across my body on a wide strap so it rests below my ribs. I find this very comfortable and have carried a camera like this for many years. I put the camera on before my pack and like having it independent from the pack so that I can take the pack on and off and adjust the harness without having to bother with the camera. Currently I'm using a LowePro Topload Zoom most of the time. A separate waterproof cover is needed. If you'll often be out in the rain then Ortlieb makes the fully waterproof Aqua-Zoom and Aqua-Zoom Plus. Also worth considering are the Zing neoprene pouches with fit closely over the camera. Zing pouches aren't as shock or water resistant as padded cases but they are very light and compact.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Serratus made a very nice rool top closure bag a few years ago. Not sure if MEC would still have any left.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Craig,
    Domke, Lowepro and Tamrac all make chest harness packs to keep SLR and small MF mounted in the sternum region. This makes access to the camera quick and easy.
    Chris

David Wood
    BPL Member

@redyeti

Locale: South Eastern UK

Glad you mentioned the Ortleib Aqua-Zoom Chris – it is certainly fully waterproof with a water-tight zip and roll top lid. I've used one for over a year now in horrendous weather and it's been utterly bombproof.

But although the Aqua-Zoom is waterproof as far as a good soaking downpour is concerned, I was a bit concerned that since the lid is just a flap, the rain could be blown up underneath it and ingress slowly over a few hours.

I'm sure it's fine for most trips for most people but if you're ever likely to be exposed to a real buffeting I'd carry the straight "Aqua-Zoom" rather than the "Plus" (and, in fact, I do).

Oh and although the padding doesn't look substantial it's been enough to protect an EOS 400D and 10-22 Canon Lens from being damaged when dropped from about three feet onto concrete. Twice.

Don't ask.

Mike Snodderley
    BPL Member

@snodds

Locale: Midwest

I take my big chunky d-slr with me on trips, weight be damned. i'm a big fan of lowepro's engineering, I think the only thing better would be a MYOG solution somehow combining thin neoprene, a comfy harness, and a fitted silnylon cover. i've thought about this in the past, never really got around to making it. most camera bags are pretty bomber things that are designed to get the crap beat out of them by photojournalists.

for poor conditions I prefer the lightweight covers from OptechUSA. they are essentially thin plastic with a drawstring to pull tight around the end of the lens hood and a hole that you stretch around the viewfinder, then slide the eyepiece over. they're very cheap, very light, and are as waterproof as the next thing. not durable though, so take it easy if you want it to last a long time. think of them as driducks for cameras. it can make the camera a bit dicey to hold, but i wrap my camera's strap around my wrist a few times to allay my fears.

I really should get a lighter camera. I use a Nikon D200, with an 18-70 and sometimes a 70-300. its heavier than need be, but i bought it for sports photography and can't quite justify dropping a few hundred dollars on a smaller lighter camera. plus I can't complain about the robustness and weather sealing.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Great suggestions.

Now that I have my camera on-hand (Nikon D60), I was able to scrutinize many of the suggestions better.

I like the roll-top closure options from Ortlieb Aqua-Zoom and Domke Dri-Safe. While weather is a concern, I also tend to hike around streams, and cross them often, and also want protection in case of a slip.

The loops on the Ortlieb are a big plus, such that I can rig something up to keep it tight to my body (trekking pole user here). One thing that concerns me is that the sealing has limited function under a temp of 23F. What is that all about? Has anyone experienced any problems with sub-23 snowfall using the Aqua-Zoom?

Has anyone used the Domke Dri-Safe? Apparently it can be submerged for short periods — which would be great if I were to seriously screw up on a stream crossing where I didn't use additional protection of a Ziploc. It doesn't look as functional as the Aqua-Zoom though — no loops, and a less ergonomic design.

Thanks again!

Scott McClure

@scottmphoto

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley

lol…I've got lenses that weigh more than 1.5 pounds. Technically, I'm a professional photographer and I love the outdoors so I always have a camera when I go to the woods.
    I carry my lenses in the top of my pack (well wrapped for protection) and my camera is on a strap, usually over one shoulder as I HATE having the strap around my neck. I have a waterproof cover from Aquatech if it's raining. For me, my camera has to be gotten to in a hurry sometimes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools