Topic

IMUSA mugs

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedNov 27, 2008 at 10:12 pm

This was discussed a long time ago, but I found an online source for the IMUSA aluminum mugs, which were difficult to find in stores. The 10cm mug has a wide base, holds 700ml of water, weighs 2.4 oz, and costs $3 + S&H. The 12cm mug also has a wide base, hold 1100ml of water, weighs 3.5 oz, and costs $4 + S&H. The place to get them is from cheflatino.com under aluminum. The S&H was pretty steep, so I got one of each for $15 total

PostedNov 27, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Thank you David. If anyone spots anything like this in Australia, please post. ( I can only find stainless steel) It's just for an experiment so cheap is good.
Franco

Rod Lawlor BPL Member
PostedNov 28, 2008 at 12:11 am

Franco,

I've seen a pretty small lightweight ali billy with a bail at Oz Disposals on High St Preston for about $8.00. I'm guessing it's about 700ml. and 80-100g. You could also try the Vietnamese places along Victoria St.

KMart also do a very thinwalled lightweight stainless steel mug, although this may be the one you're talking about.

Rod

PostedNov 28, 2008 at 2:08 am

Thanks Rod
I had a look in some of the Disposal stores in the City but could not find the shape/size I wanted (700-1100 ml)
Franco

Jason Klass BPL Member
PostedNov 28, 2008 at 5:51 pm

A caveat on IMUSA mugs: I've had several that began leaking after heating though the rivets that attach the handle.

PostedNov 29, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Thank you Jason. If I could get that locally for that price I still would just to experiment with it. I noticed that Ron Bell has a new 850ml titanium mug , 3.15 oz (90g) including handles and lid. That is exactly what I am after but the low AU dollar and shipping are a bit too much at the moment. ( the shorter handles make it a practical design for what I want to do)
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/
Franco

Rod Lawlor BPL Member
PostedDec 2, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I was going past yesterday.

$6.95 (or was it 7.95)
105mm wide, 110mm high, which I calculate to be 1044ml filled to the brim. No scale with me, but to my trained hand, I'd say 96g including the lid. (Give me feedback on this if you pick one up)

Rod

PostedDec 2, 2008 at 9:53 pm

If one can bear the weight of an extra 2 ounces (yeah, yeah) the GSI Glacier Pot/Mug weighs in at 5.3 ounces but is stainless steel. This is a mug that will last. It holds 18 ounces.

Psssstttt Part 2: Trail Designs designed a Caldera System just for us for the pot. And a DIY lid for the pot as well.

The pots run just shy of $9.

Edit: Can't spell decent tonight.

PostedDec 3, 2008 at 12:02 am

Rod
Wow, 96 grams ! This is one of the times I would prefer to guess in Imperials ( I am standing up as I type this…) , something like 3 oz and a bit.
That size sounds about right, I think that the one I have used for my Bush Buddy versions is one size up from that. The shop in town that used to have them has closed down but I will look around.

Sarah
It is just for an experiment so durability at this stage is not important. When I spent a couple of weeks experimenting with alcohol and wood burning stoves the result was that I decided II could not be bothered with wood and I could not match the Caldera Cone. ( that is why I don't complain about the cost of this type of gear)
Franco
BTW, my idea is very similar to the Ti Goat Beer Can/ Caldera Cone set up, not on their web site at the moment. It would be using Rod's silicone egg rings to hold the pot up.
I am wondering how can the copy me when I haven't even started

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...