Topic

Super-Cheap Bivy

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedNov 25, 2008 at 6:13 pm

So I'm new to the tarp/bivy thing…actually, trying it for the first time in a few weeks, and I wanted some feedback about a potential bivy system.

Before I take the plunge and spend some real money on a bivy, I was considering using an Adventure Medical Kits Emergency Bivy. Since I'm a side sleeper, I could cut a half-circle on one side so my backside could be fully enclosed, but have room to breathe around my face.

I realize it's not breathable, but the temperature is mild here and I don't anticipate a lot of sweating….Has anyone tried this before?

Pedro Arvy BPL Member
PostedNov 25, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Does this thing breathe?
If not, it could be a very sweaty experience.

All I use is a tarp and BPL bivy these days, it took quite a while to get used to the claustrophobic of a closed bivy.

I am about to try a Titanium Goat bivy with optional mesh hood that looks a lot less claustrophobic.

PostedNov 25, 2008 at 6:50 pm

It doesn't breathe, but it's not fully enclosed. That is,the top is open. I'll have a down bag inside.

Jamie Shortt BPL Member
PostedNov 25, 2008 at 7:16 pm

The cheapest bivy I know of that gets good reviews is the Equinox Ultralight Bivy for $60. If you want cheaper I would sleep without one, just sleep on a plastic sheet.

I personally use a Montbell Dry-Tech Breeze Bivy ($110) and a MLD SuperLight Bivy ($165). I find the superlight to have so much more room and it zips. The Dry-Tech is a waterproof breathable bivy that never seems to gather condesate no matter the weather. So both are nice in their own ways.

I hear good stuff about the tigoat bivy and now that it is not purple it is a worthy contender…sorry I just could not do purple.

Jamie

Jamie

PostedNov 25, 2008 at 7:38 pm

and save your emergency bivy. Neither are breathable, so just duct tape and plastic will give a functional equivalent. Climb in at home and take a nap outside at night to check how you like it. Make it loose so you can use a tie-up line. No bugs?
Or, maybe try a WPB jacket over your feet that stick out from the tarp, if needed.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedNov 25, 2008 at 9:08 pm

The AMK Emergency Bivy is really not that strong though and would probably wear through in about two weeks.

Your cheapest bet would be to use some 4 mil plastic for the base, some bug netting that is atached at one of the long sides and one of the short sides, and some Tyvek that is just attached on the long side and can be tucked in at the short side and the other long side.

PostedNov 28, 2008 at 1:25 pm

In this thread Here, we made cheap, breathable bivy sacks using Driducks ponchos for the top. They are only 13$ shipped. You need to treat them gently, but they are super-breathable, repair is easy, and a fun project for the holiday down time.

Tape sticks very well to the Driducks fabric, so if you don’t mind adding that weight, boo yah one afternoon project.

One ding against mylar, it is loud.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...