Topic

Epic or Event gaiters – anyone make these?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Epic or Event gaiters – anyone make these?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

I’m wanting a new set of gaiters now that the snow is falling. I figure I might as well look for a good set in one of these materials.

Are you aware of any makers producing gaiters in these fabrics?

thanks!

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

deleted. hadn’t “refreshed” browser in quite a while and after posting found RyanF beat me to it.

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

i saw these and thought $10 an oz. If only more gear was like this.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Ryan is right about the Integral designs Event shortie gaiters. I have a pair. They’ve only been on one dry hike so far. So, I have no report on rain or snow performance. They did an excellent job with stopping pebbles and grit on this particular trip.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

The ID gaiters are too low for serious snow travel plus it’s a detriment that they have to go on before the boots go on in Winter conditions.

I would suggest a higher gaiter with a zip and a more durable instep cord system.

Alas, I don’t know of such a gaiter in eVENT (let alone Epic–never heard of any gaiter in Epic). I can reccommend Outdoor Research’s gaiters– like their Crocodiles –tough, heavy (can’t have everything) but will stand up to backcountry skiing and snowshoing, or the lighter Celestial or Verglas. Black Diamond has some nice ones which favor velcro closures.

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

I would have to disagree with Kevin on the ID Shortie Gaiters. They are light, simple, and meet all my needs.

I put over 1000 miles on them this past summer and found they worked great for me in all kinds of conditions, including postholing and glissading in snow and serious bushwhacking.

Taller gaiters would probably be better in brush to protect your shins when you are wearing hiking shorts.

Their pull-on design doesn’t bother me. I put them on in the morning and leave them on all day. They will slip over a low cut shoe but nothing higher. They breathe so well I have never had any discomfort.

I found them tall enough to do the job. What I like best is they keep the snow, water, mud, and debris out of my shoes so my feet stay dryer and cleaner.

They have become one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Will

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools