Topic

eVENT Cagoule

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) eVENT Cagoule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

After trying all kinds of different rain jackets I’ve finally come to the conclusion that for me the best kind of upper rain wear is a traditional mountaineering cagoule. I like the ventilation it provides and the protection the length gives, such as when you are hunkered down, waiting out a storm with your legs drawn up inside. With the hem drawn up you can use it while climbing and and you can throw it over your back for covering a small pack. I rarely need to wear rain pants.

I’ve been using a non-breathable version I found a few years ago here in Japan, but when cinching up the waist while wearing the pack it gets mighty wet inside from all my sweating. I’ve been seeking a breathable version that would work better with mountain walking, especially here in Japan where it is very humid.

I can’t find properly blousy cagoules anywhere, not even the old Kokatat version (which is too heavy and narrow for drawing up my legs inside). MontBell also makes one, but it, too, is too narrow. Hilleberg’s Bivanorak, which I tried on about three months ago, is much too big and volumnous. What I’d like is similar in design to the 1972 Chouinard catalog ( http://climbaz.com/chouinard72/ch_page60.html ) version. If there is no possibility of buying a ready-made cagoule I think I might just make one myself, but I wonder if it is possible to get eVENT fabric for individuals? And would anyone know of a good cagoule pattern with a good hood and sleeve design?

I’d appreciate any leads. Thanks.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

The Rain Shed, outdoor fabrics has a pattern #RS 280 Cagoule. I used “ultrex” a gore tex like material, but it’s too bulky. I have a coated nylon cagoule which I wore a long time as raingear, but now I find it too hot to hike in. I use Marmot PreCip, waterproof/breathable anorak which I wear in rain only if I need to keep warm. Cagoules, too, are great around camp for warmth.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Thanks, Frank, for the suggestions. I’ve seen the Rain Shed pattern and that may possibly be the way to go. The reason why I’d like to use eVENT for the cagole is because of its lightness and breathability. I don’t usually use a rain layer unless it is raining too hard for me to keep warm and my body heat cannot dry my clothes fast enough as I move. On Japanese summer mountain walks often a quick drying t-shirt is all I need as I pump away on the strenuous trails. I don’t mind getting wet then. When it gets a little cooler a light cagoule is often all I need to keep a little warmer, but still allow ventilation.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools