Topic

Anyone own the Titanium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy with Full Net hood

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Pedro Arvy BPL Member
PostedNov 24, 2008 at 2:32 pm

I think I want one of these as my BPL bivy feels a little claustrophobic when zipped up which is all the time to protect from bugs.

Can any owners tell me, does the fabric hood sit on top of the net hood or is it separate?

The reason I ask is, I'd still like to be able to peek out of the bivy through a small window when the fabric is protecting my head from rain spray. I really wouldn't like the feeling of total enclosure with fabric.

Jason Brinkman BPL Member
PostedNov 24, 2008 at 10:43 pm

I have a Ti Goat Ptarmigan with the full net hood. Mine is of the late grey vintage (thankfully not purple), although I see they are now using black tops (good call)!

The fabric hood and the net hood are the exact same shape. The fabric hood sits over top of the net hood. Both zip across the chest with their own independent zippers.

You can definitely open the zippers on the fabric hood while closing the mesh zipper. This will provides 'window' of mesh that you can peak out without losing the protection of the fabric for rain spray or spin drift. But… the window will tend to fall closed unless you run a string to hold the fabric hood up off the mesh hood. I find this to be the optimal setup in wet weather, as it still ventilates well, but keeps the bugs out.

Alternately, you can fully unzip the fabric zipper and flip the fabric hood over to the bottom of the bag. This leaves a full mesh hood only, which is great for bug protection only on dry nights.

JAMES CALL BPL Member
PostedDec 3, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Jason,
Does flipping the cloth hood over the top change the length of the bivy? The specifications call this bivy out at 87 inches. That seems huge!

Jason Brinkman BPL Member
PostedDec 12, 2008 at 8:45 pm

No, flipping the cloth hood over the top does not change the length at all. It is a fairly long bivy. I am 6'4" and it is plenty long for me. Although my recollection is that my Integral Designs bivies are longer?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...