Topic

Lightest Fabric?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lightest Fabric?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

I want to make a sleeve to cover a GG evazote thinlight pad for my hammock. I tried a silk sleeping bag liner that worked well but wondered if there is something even lighter that would work.
    It needs to be breathable.
    Any ideas?

The pad insulates well but is so sticky as to be essentially unworkable for that purpose.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi John,

Interesting question but without the weight of what you are now using how can we suggest something else.

Weight per sq yard of the silk is?

Why does it need to be breathable?

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

The silk sleeping bag liner I am using now weighs 4 oz.
    It is 78" long and about 30" wide at the top. I will try to calculate the area, but it is a mummy shaped liner so I'm not sure how accuate my calculations will be.

As to breatability, I am trying to minimize condensation. I expect something like cuben or space blanket (mylar?) would likely be lighter but it is my understanding that those materials do not allow water vapor to pass thru.

The sleeping bag liner works very well, but is too small in the shoulder area as I found out this weekend when it dropped to 29. I need a little more coverage.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

>As to breatability, I am trying to minimize condensation. I expect something like cuben or space blanket (mylar?) would likely be lighter but it is my understanding that those materials do not allow water vapor to pass thru.

Is this going to be permanently attached to the hammock? If so, I see why you would want it to be breathable. If it's removable I don't see the benefit of making breathable, as the foam pad certainly isn't.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

No, it is removable.

Maybe breathability isn't an issue then.
    That would obviously increase my options.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools