Topic

Lightweight “lid” for cooking pots

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedNov 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Not sure if this is where to post this:
To save weight my husband has replaced the titanium lid on our Titan Kettle with a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. This reduces wt from 1.3 oz for the lid to 0.1 oz for the foil. The lid is not really necessary for us as we only use the Kettle to boil water.

PostedNov 23, 2008 at 3:51 pm

The lid DOES add a weight savings advantage, because you save weight of fuel by having quicker boil times.

I use a trimmed pie-plate lid.

PostedNov 23, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Right. The foil replaces the titanium lid, keeps the heat in and allows for a faster boiling time than without a lid

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedNov 23, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Linda,

Welcome to the forum!

Think that this is your 1st posting on the BPL.

Question to everyone, "Is there any advantage to having the "heavy" lid on the Kettle vs. using foil?

-Tony

PostedNov 23, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Question to everyone, "Is there any advantage to having the "heavy" lid on the Kettle vs. using foil?

The MSR kettle lid is kind of unique in that it has a tight fit compared to other pots. You can probably use this pot without a stuff sack and keep everything in place. Of course, a stuff sack is still going to be lighter than the lid, so it's not really a weight advantage.

You can pour water without removing the lid, so it might be slightly safer.

You can also drain water (like when cooking pasta) a bit easier with the heavier lid vs a foil lid.

PostedNov 23, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Thanks Tony. Thought I'd bite the bullet and try posting something. Still counting ozs. My base wt is down to 11.37 ozs and can shave another lb when/if I drop my rain gear and exchange the tent for the poncho/tarp.
LV

Jason Klass BPL Member
PostedNov 23, 2008 at 7:09 pm

I agree with Daniel's comments about the lid of the Titan. It really does have it's unique advantages that outweigh (no pun intended) saving a few grams.

PostedNov 23, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. I can look for different/better ways to save wt. Better to be safe than sorry and I defer to the wisdom of those with the experience.

I will soon be making changes in my system that will do more for me than the foil. I'll post my list for feedback. It's always better to have more eyes look at it.

LV

John S. BPL Member
PostedNov 24, 2008 at 6:13 am

Wonder what the boil time difference is between tight lid and foil lid?

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedNov 24, 2008 at 12:38 pm

> "Is there any advantage to having the "heavy" lid on the Kettle vs. using foil?

I used an alfoil lid for a while on my Tiatn 1.3 L pot, then went back to using the Ti lid which came with it. My reason was that with the lid in place, all the more fragile stuff I have packed inside the pot is really safe.

While I haven't sat down and done the sums, I suspect that the extra weight of the lid is less than the extra padding I might otherwise need.

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...