Topic

Terra Nova Photon – Static Cling?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedNov 21, 2008 at 11:28 am

I recently used a Photon in a dry sandy environment and found that it is a 'sand magnet.' As soon as it hit the sand it was coated. And not just lightly… it was thick… on all contact surfaces, including the underside of the fly.

The photos show the tent After I spent 15 minutes trying to shake and wipe the sand away. I could move the sand, but all I was doing was moving it around. Static cling didn't let it get very far.

Photon1

Photon2

Photon3

The X is where a wet finger collected and removed the sand. Once I got home I was able to remove the sand with a wet sponge. My primary concern is that during an extended trip the sand (or whatever) will grind away at the already very light fabric and it's coating.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Any ideas on how deal with it and not affect the hydrophobic nature of the waterproofing?

A copy of this is already at Terra Nova and I'll share whatever responses they provide.

PostedNov 21, 2008 at 12:48 pm

If I remember correctly mere mortals are not allowed to know what fabric Terra Nova is using for the Photon, so you will need the help of some other user (?)
Now I am curious to find out what is the revised weight (including sand), but seriously that would worry me too (abrasion from attrition during transport)
The standard 1.1 nylon does attract some sand dust, but I never seen it that bad and I have camped on the beach and in semi desert areas several times.
Franco

PostedNov 25, 2008 at 7:10 am

The advice from Terra Nova is –

"No sorry there is nothing to address this issue over an extended trip."

"Sorry we can't be more helpful."

Me too.

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I finally got around to doing a gear check after the last trip and found the strap running under the tent to tension the ends of the pole is about 4 stitches from failure.

The trouble area is at the base of the pole on the door side.

PhotonThreshold

PhotonStrap1

This is after less than 10 nights out. Failure would not be catastrophic as a piece of cord with a loop on each end would hold things together.

It would be inconvenient, as failure would most likely occur during a 2am downpour.

PostedMar 11, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Amendment –

Once I got into repairing this problem I found that there are two rows of stitching and only the first one was pulling loose. Looking at the other end I noticed an 3rd line of stitching, of much heavier thread. Either the door end is made differently, or a line of stitching was missed.

So, not so close to failure after all.
Perhaps 20 more nights out.

It was easy to repair though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...