Topic

Montane Superfly Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montane Superfly Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Hi I was thinking about purchasing Montane’s Superfly and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it. Main concerns would be breathability and waterproofness. I am also somewhate concerned about sizing, I wear a Xl and might need to layer.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I have a Montaine windshirt (definitely not waterproof), but at 3.5 oz. it fits in the palm of my hand when bagged. The size is large and the label says 42″ chest. It easily fits over a shirt. I’m 5’9″ weigh 165.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Yeah I have the Montane Smock too. This is my go to when I am above tree line and hitting some heavy winds while moving. I have the model with the chest pocket which I love. I was just wondering if the Superfly is water resistant and how well does it breath. Thanks for your reply. One thing about my smock is I am always so nervous about ripping it with such thin fabric. I also have the Featherlite pants and they have turned out to be a real good pair of pants that can handle about an hours worth of heavy downpour, which is about all that you really get in the Sierras in the summer.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I’ve had the eVent Superfly for about six months now. Compared to Gore-tex the material really does breath very well and does a very good job shedding rain. The material did often wet out quite quickly under the pack straps at my shoulders, but no rain got through. I found that because the material is quite thin it doesn’t insulate as well as most Gore-tex laminated jackets that I’ve used so on alpine walks I’ve had to put another layer underneath just to keep the chill out, especially in wind. The jacket is also quite short in the front so unless your underlayers fit with this length they will protrude from the front of the jacket. The hood is beautifully formed and the sleeves extra long to accommodate reaching your hands over your head. It’s a minimalist jacket, with only two water-tight zippered pockets and a front zip protected by a velcroed strom flap. The back tail scoop is quite long so it would cover your back quite well even when leaned over a bicycle. I’m not sure how tough the material is; I would say that it wouldn’t stand up to a lot of bushwhalking or rock scrambling. It’s more of an ultralight walker’s last defense against the elements. For that purpose it does a great job. It is quite expensive, though.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I have and older model (not eVent). I bought it online, on sale, and found it quite a bit too big but it’s still so light I don’t mind and I got used to the big size. It’s good to layer underneath and it’s not baggy either. Sleeve length is ok and I welcome the extra length at the back.
    They’re not available locally so I can’t try a smaller one but I think I’d stick with mine. That said, I’d say from my limited experience with Montane they’re sizes run big. I’m usually a M (5’8″) and I have a Featherlite Smock size S which suits me snug but fine. The Superfly is a M.

As far as breathability goes, it’s limited but no worse than any other jacket I’ve tried. It gets clammy inside. I try to vent as much as I can. I guess the eVent version breathes better but it’s also considerably heavier.

I’m happy with the jacket. It’s so light I don’t mind carrying it and it’s become my primary rain shell. It has everything I need and nothing I don’t need. For me, it’s the perfect jacket. I’ve tried the hyperlight stuff such as the O2 Rainshield and it’s fine, it works, but I feel safer with sturdier stuff, at least for long distance trips.

KEVIN BOS

@bosman

Hydra-lite

http://www.montane.co.uk/products_wetlite_hydralite.htm

Ultra lightweight fully waterproof and breathable outdoor shirt.

Sister product of the world renowned Featherlite, this fully waterproof and breathable shirt is the original minimalist waterproof clothing. As far as we know, it is the lightest weight shirt of its type in the world today. It’s an uncompromisingly functional item of clothing, which packs as small and weighs the same as a large apple. In conditions of sustained wet weather when low weight and low bulk are the priority, the Hydra-Lite cannot be beaten.
    7.6 oz – Large
    I am very curious about this one. I would like to hear about it being used in the real world. Has anyone purchased or used this piece of gear?

Anonymous

I have the Montane Hydralite smock. It’s ok, but I would not buy it again. The hood is small and short on the sides. Breathability of the material is not great. (Example; After a couple of hours skiing at a slow pace on a lake in about -10 Celcius, the inside of the jacket was dripping wet with condensation.)
    /Moe

KEVIN BOS

@bosman

Thanks for testing out the gear and getting the word out about it for those who may be considering it.

E. H. Clemmons
    BPL Member

@sclemmons

I have the original superfly, not the Event. In XL. it runs true to size in my opinion. No problem to layer. I have an XL in almost everything else, too, except for columbia fleece which I size down to L. The Featherlite, however, is sized like a shirt, and to wear anything under it you need to size up one size. Mine is XXL, and I can wear it over a light sweater and/or capilene, plus a shirt and it feels fine. Montane is a challenge to order by mail because their sizing varies from piece to piece, unlike, say Marmot or Patagonia which seems more consistent. However, you can contact Montane direct and they will coach you by email. That is what I did.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools