Topic

Last try

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Last try

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Outdoor research Zero jacket vs.Montbell ul thermawrap parka.

Anyone have any experience with these 2 jackets. Iknow the montbell is lighter and the zero is warmer, But how much am i gaining by the lighter jacket vs. warmth.They are both the same price.

John Chan

@ouroboros

but I’ve grappled with the same dilemma for the last 2 seasons. Stationary warmth vs moving warmth. This is my solution.

I have given up fleeces in favor of 2 synthetic insulation layers (Montbell UL Thermawrap vest + MEC Northern Lite Smock). I wear both layers when stationary for the equivalent warmth of 1 heavier insulated synthetic layer but when I’m moving, the heavier MEC smock gets strapped to the top of my pack and I only wear the vest + my windshirt. When it gets (or I get) slightly colder, I ditch the windshirt/vest combo for the smock and I can play with all the combos in-between.

Its a very versatile system. Three pieces = lots of combinations for any occasion.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools