Topic

3oz Wood Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3oz Wood Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

This is the wood stove that I mentioned in the Thread for Ryan’s SUL winter Hike. This one weighs 3.35oz but I have reduced the weight to just under 3oz. I reduced the amount of SS mesh I used and cut the weight of the SS Grate in half. I also have more air holes in the new stove.

Steel Can Wood Stove w/grate:
    3-3/8″ lid opening by 4.25″ tall – weight 85gr/3oz

I think if you are going to go with a wood stove you will need a good match between the stove diameter and pot diameter. My pot stands are very light and made for the cook pot to be used.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

how do you light your stove?

do you put tinder under the grate or use a lighter fluid?

if you use fluid I am confused as to wether you put it under or on top of the wood?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I’m not sure from the perspective, but those look like some pretty thick twigs… If so, that vortex seems to be helping… nicely done

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

just a question Bill,

what was your method of vortecizing the holes on your wood and brasslite stoves. I ask this because yours look a little different then mine.

what I did on my stove is to put a 3/4 inch thick highlighter wich was the thickness of my holes. and put it in the holes and bend it to the side. this bent one side of the hole inward and the other outward. (anything 3/4 inch thick will work)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools