Topic

Bad idea? tollay new at this

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bad idea? tollay new at this

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Love

@gwl2225

I just got some camo nylon rip stop fabric at walmart and was thinking of making a square tarp. I have been testng it by putting some over a cup and holding it in place with a rubber band and put sone water on the top about a tea spoon. It has not leaked threw and I can not blow air threw it. It is some what shinnny on one side. I do not think it is silnylon because it is not slippery. My question is is this stuff water proof and will it be to heavy for a 10 X 12 tarp for hiking? Like I said I am new and just learning. I only got a 3 inch wide section to test. Thanks Greg

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Greg,

Your test won't provide enough water pressure to test properly.

It's probably a decent DWR, but not waterproof, IMO. However, it could be PU coated….waterproof!

Others can give a better testing recommendation than I. However, try setting up a bigger section and spray a hose at it from various distances & water pressures. Lay a towel underneath to see if there's leakage.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Shiny coating?
    That is likely to be acrylic. It is not really all that waterproof. An acrylic coating is very cheap and is commonly used to help the fabric keep its shape.

However … Have a Go!
    Provided you pitch the tarp with a bit of a slope on the roof and you seam-seal the ridge somehow, it will probably work moderately well for a couple of years.
    Have a Go!

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools