Topic

montbell jacket sizing for women

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) montbell jacket sizing for women

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

So Montbell doesn't offer size XS – does anyone own any of the down or thermawrap jackets? Customer service claims it runs small but from what I can see I'm skeptical.

Or if anyone could suggest alternatives… that'd be appreciated too. Besides Patagonia :)

Blue _
    BPL Member

@lrmblue

Locale: Northeast (New England)

Angela,
    Montbell sizing definitely does run small. My wife who generally takes a small had to send her size small MB UL Thermawrap back and get a medium. If you haven't checked it out already, on the Montbell NA Website (www.montbell.us) there is also a women's sizing chart (look under Customer Service and select FAQ from menu). The MB sizing chart for North American women breaks the specs down into specific measurements–sleeve length, etc.).

In any case, if you order from a reputable authorized dealer you shouldn't have any trouble returning something that doesn't fit–another nice thing about lightweight gear is that it doesn't cost much to mail.

NOTE: If you are XS as in Japanese SMALL I guess you could try a model intended for the Japanese market—but that can get tricky since all of the proportions are also changed—I’ve known fully matured Japanese women who buy their North American clothes in children’s sizes. Hope this helps.

BTW, both my wife and I are extremely happy with the pieces of Montbell clothing we have.

LIBERTAS+PAX PACIS

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Despite the general view that Montbell runs small in women, I think in some models this may not be true.

I recently bought a Alpine Light Parka for my wife. According to the Montbell US size charts, she should have been right in the middle of the size Medium.

She normally wears small or extra small in US sizes.

The medium was quite large for her. I found this especially strange as I tried on an Alpine Light Parka in my normal size, Medium, and found it quite snug – no layers under possible.

We got a size small for her, which seems to fit good: allows layering under or over.

My only conclusion is that in this model anyway, the women's version runs big while the men's runs a little small.

If you can find a retailer where you can try on, that might be your best bet.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

I scanned the list of Dealers – it looks like there are none even remotely in New England.

Apparently you cannot special order the Japanese sizing :(

And yeah, the North American size S seems too big for me according to their measurements.

Good point about the return shipping being cheaper for UL though :)

Blue _
    BPL Member

@lrmblue

Angela Z.> “Apparently you cannot special order the Japanese sizing :( “
    –As a rule you are right, Angela,—but occasionally certain items are put on sale in NA through the Montbell Store. Not much help in your case though, I imagine.

Josh S. > “My only conclusion is that in this model anyway, the women's version runs big while the men's runs a little small.”
    –This is good to know, Josh. My wife and I have been intending to do more cold weather camping and have been considering adding MB parkas to our kits.

Angela Z.> “I scanned the list of Dealers – it looks like there are none even remotely in New England.”
    –Yeah, as a New England resident, I know. If you have the luxury of being able to plan ahead, though, you can keep an eye out for mail order sales (they seem to happen regularly with MB clothing). We’ve had good luck ordering sale items online from Prolite Gear and Backcountry Gear. The advantage to waiting for the sale is, of course, that if you have to return or exchange the item you still come out paying less–even with the added return shipping charge. Still, this probably won’t be of much help either, if you are looking for the jacket before spring. Maybe someone who owns one of these jackets in the small size will respond and give you some actual measurements. Or maybe someone has experience with some comparable product. Good luck.

LIBERTAS+PAX PACIS

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

anna, i was thinking of getting a mont bell ul. jacket. the sizing is so weird. i am 5"3" and weigh 125. if you take a med. now i'm really not sure what size i would take. a large? my chest measurent is 36. what do you think? thanks

Blue _
    BPL Member

@lrmblue

Angela,

FYI, ProliteGear.com is having a Montbell sale right now–they sent me an email this morning.

LIBERTAS+PAX PACIS

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Blue – thanks for the sale tip.

Victoria – the sizing is driving me crazy! I've measured myself three times now. :)

Anna, I do feel better now that you've given me some input. I'll give the small a shot. I like my layers pretty snug and I have a feeling that this may not be quite the fit I want, but we'll see.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

I'm now leaning towards buying a jacket and if I do, I'll have my mom try it on as well – she is shorter but has the same measurements as you I think. So if you can wait a week or two I'll get back to you. with more input on sizing.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

thanks angela, i'll wait for your reply..

Linda Vassallo

@eastbayhiker

Locale: Eastbay

Hi Angela: I just returned a Montbell Women's Thermawrap because it was indeed smaller than expected. They seem to run very tight compared to usual sizing. So the size small may fit if that's what you are looking for.

Should you need to return the jacket, Montbell's return/exchange system makes it easy.
    LV

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I have a UL Thermawrap jacket and a UL windshirt. Both definitely run small–I normally take a medium, but large is a snug fit for both of these.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Victoria – you asked about sizing…

I took the plunge and got the jacket.

I'm 5'3 and normally wear an XS. The size small UL thermawrap action fits me pretty well. It's a liiiiittle too baggy/not as fitted as I would normally like (and this is apparently their most narrow/fitted style) but works great with layering other jackets underneath, which what I wanted. And I really, really like the powerstretch cuffs with thumbholes. Worth the extra few ounces to me because it's cozy and comfortable.

My friend is 5'3, 125ish (maybe a little less?), chest 33 and owns the UL down inner jacket. She owns a size medium and says the jacket fits just right. Can wear a fleece under it and it's snug, or just a t-shirt and it's just right, not baggy at all.

We both have come to the conclusion that other than the fact that it looks and sounds like we are wearing garbage bags, we love these jackets. And would suggest avoiding ordering it in black.

I have another friend who I believe is ordering the alpine light down jacket who is also your size, so if you are still on the fence I can keep you posted! (I'm not sure what size she ordered.)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools