Topic

UL cooking platform

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL cooking platform

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

For my first post, I thought that I would contribute.
    I decided I needed a stove platform to help keep things off the ground while cooking, but have been unsatisfied with off the self cooking platforms. So I made my own. I went to an art store and found a sheet of corrugated plastic for $5.00, I choose this because it is light weight and fairly ridged and seems that It will stand up to numerous trail adventures.
    I cut an 8”X8” section, just big enough to cooking on and keep my spoon and other things off the ground while it still fits in the pack nice, I store it the hydration sleeve of my backpack. It weighs in at exactly 1oz.

Sove platformstove platform

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Shane, that's a nice find! How ridged is that plastic? I'm wondering if it is ridged enough to serve as a frame in a frameless backpack? A larger piece would be required but, it could then be double duty!

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

I don't think that it would be ridged enough for a pack frame. For that I would use Kydex plastic sheet of which can be thermomoled.

http://www.kydex.com/dimensions.asp

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Thanks Shane

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I have no idea which forum I read it on, but someone successfully used this plastic, in the form of a "Vote for __________" sign, for a frame in an UL pack. While it isn't Kydex, I don't see why it won't do very well.

Todd

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Micheal, that was my first thought when I saw it – perhaps it could be combined with a thin pad as a frame sheet – either way, nice idea for a platform. Looked at the sheet, I am guessing it is more rigid in one direction then the other?

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Check out the GoLite Infinity Backpack review on this site. Golite uses the same corrugated plastic, reinforced with thin metal rods, as a framesheet.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Yes, It bends fairly easier along the grain, but riged enough or my cooking platform.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Golite uses the same corrugated plastic, reinforced with thin metal rods, as a framesheet.

Reinforce with tent stakes. Hehe.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Bamboo sushi mats work well as a prep mat/clean area for cooking I might add. They roll up small as well.
    Another are the "disposable" cutting boards sold nowadays – they are wafer thin and fit in a pack (very UL) and last quite a few times – recyclable as well.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

That materiel has been used for a MYOG frame sheet and posted about 3 years ago. The sheet may have small diameter brass tubing run through the corrugations and then "formed" by bending to match the "spinal" curve of your choice.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Sarah,

Do you have a source for the "disposable" cutting boards you mention. I don't think I've seen them anywhere and I would be interested in looking at one.

Thanks,

-Mark

P.S.- Love your "Freezer Bag Cooking" Book. It has absolutely changed the way I eat on the trail.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Mark, I have seen them at box stores like Wal Mart and in grocery stores.
    Also, my favorite outdoor food online source has a version of them:
    http://www.packitgourmet.com/Flexible-Cutting-Board-p94.html

PS: We are in final editing on book 2. I handed off the final manuscript to my husband last night :-) Very excited!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

PS: We are in final editing on book 2. I handed off the final manuscript to my husband last night :-) Very excited!

Probably not on a timeline that'd work to be included in a Christmas list?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

How ridged is that plastic? I'm wondering if it is ridged enough to serve as a frame in a frameless backpack?

I've seen that idear on the G4 Pack yahoo group … with a pair of small diameter brass tubes inserted in the channels … and then bent to conform to the wearer's back

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>I've seen that idear on the G4 Pack

Yup. Poster board can do quadruple duty as a pack frame, cooking board, choping board and under leg sleeping insulation. In an emergecny it also makes and ideal splint. Wonderful stuff.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Grinder said: I decided I needed a stove platform to help keep things off the ground while cooking

Why? I've never used a stove platform. I might try a small cutting board in the future if I try a Roger-cheese-bread-great-walk-in-France trip.

I'm not saying you should not use it and you've come up with a light and innovative solution. I'm just curious how you made the decision.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

"Probably not on a timeline that'd work to be included in a Christmas list?"

We are hoping on January! We will be doing a pre-release to those on our site's mailing list though with a special deal ;-)
    Just need the final fleshing and go to proofs. Then to print!

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Sarah,

Thanks for the info on the cutting board.

Also, great news about the book 2. I'll be looking for it.

-Mark

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

>Why? I've never used a stove platform.

I find them invaluable when cooking with a canister stove on uneven ground or snow, or in the tent (not recommended).

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

For me, I like the extra stability that the platfrom provides for the stove and a place I can put my food covered spoon other then a rock, a log or on the ground that will pick up less pine needles and grit.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Oh totally! On non UL trips I have been known to bring my GSI table. That thing rocks. (And is as heavy as a rock!) hehheh

Photobucket

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Here's my non-UL kitchen

Not UL but it works

Looks like I need to go get help from
    http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

>Here's my non-UL kitchen

I would have thought that was an incredibly UL kitchen since (presumably) YOU don't have to carry anything…not even yourself.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

no rest for the wicked 'cuz I aint got no horses

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools