Topic

Wood Stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wood Stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

My stand melted, on previous tests, I did not test the stand, but I felt that before I try to actually use the stove, I better make sure it works, nad it melted:-) so does anyone have a recomondation for a pot suport?

I dont have any aluminum tubing like on Bills stand, and I dont want to spend alot of money on a stove that I will hardly use

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Coat hangers might work, if bent properly. Most of the wooodstoves I build are their own stands…

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Ryan … will two tent stakes span the top of your stove? Interlocking the hooked ends will keep them from rolling.

Another idea is get the 1/4″ aluminum rod at the local hardware store (generally comes in 3′ or 4′ lengths for just a few $). Cut a section a little longer than twice the diameter of the stove and bend into a “V” shape. This version wont roll but is a little heavier.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Robert: the BPL Ti foil is 0.001″ thick… it won’t support anything. It can really only be used as a windscreen I’d say.

david epley

@renman

Nice work so far!
    I used a similar stove for about 400 miles of my AT hike in 98. I simply cut 3 notches into the top of my stove, about 1 inch deep by 3 inches long. I then set my pot right on top. The notches allowed enough airflow as well as room to add more wood without lifting off the pot.
    As has already been mentioned try finding some hardware cloth for the raised floor.
    For a fun tool to light it with, try one of these: http://www.firepiston.com

Joy Menze
    BPL Member

@catamountain

I asked an old outdoorsman about his favorite stove a few week ago. He fondly recalled a design similar to yours, Ryan. He left the top solid. Holes were around the top sides like David Epley’s with a bigger side hole to feed the fire. He used that stove inside a tent for cooking and heat. The key to using fire for warmth is to keep the fire small so the smoke is not a problem. AND there needs to be a radiant surface to reflect the heat back to you. This applies to doing something like sleeping out in the open next to the fire too.

Another tip he shared with me is that one can always find tinder/starter even in a wet environment. Peel the bark off a downed tree and collect the dry inner bark. Maked shavings of the exposed, dry trunk.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

thanks David and Joy,

When I find time, I will probably cut out a few notches like David said.

thanks Joy, I actually use a tarp, and I just wouldent feel comfortable with fire in a tent, thanks for the tinder tip.

I will probably only use this while camping, for bacpacking I use a .2oz redbull side burner stove, with a, .6oz energy drink can pot. I am a little weight obsessive while backpacking :-)

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I have made a few adjustments to my wood stove.

for one, I added a million more holes to the fire grate
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

and followed advice from David and cut out a pot stand and added more holes to the sides of the cans

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ryan,

You might save some weight by replacing your fire grate with ¼” wire mesh and using pop rivets instead of screws?

Regards

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools