Topic

Southeast US winter meetup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Southeast US winter meetup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

As was mentioned in another thread, a Southeast backpacking trip (Jan or Feb) has been suggested with a fair number of interested participants.

Suggested sites so far include,

Roan Mountain
    Big Creek (Smokies)
    Mt. Mitchell
    Slickrock Creek

The most central areas would probably be Roan Mountain and Big Creek; but to include our Georgia brethren, Fontana Lake and Chattahoochee NF could also be added to the mix. Of course, a brutal winter area would probably be preferred :)

January and February weekends seem to be the most popular. MLK weekend works best for me since I believe 2009's day off is MLK Day (my company rotates President's Day and MLK Day each year). Though this may not be best for families wishing to spend MLK weekend with their kids — understandable!

Let's try to figure some locations and dates that work well for everyone — even if it is just a one-, or two-, night trip. Personally, I leave work very early on Friday's so I can be just about anywhere in the tri-state area by 6pm on a Friday; but I'm also willing to take a Friday or Monday off if it works well with everyone's schedule.

Let's hear what works!

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I am in. If we are planning on leaving after work friday we should pick an easy to find trailhead as most of us will have to find it in the dark. Big fat gap in the slickrock wilderness comes to mind it is easy to find and there is a trail that leads down to the creek and some big campsites 3 miles or so from the TH that would be fairly easy to find at night.

That said I have always wanted to Albert Mtn in wintertime.

Malcolm Foss

@mfoss01

Locale: North Georgia

Interesting coincidence, my cousin and I are planning a winter trip in the smokies. We are hoping to make it a 5 day trip though. I would be interested in this trip as well. I have tons of experience backpacking the southern appalachians, but almost all of it has been in summer and the shoulder seasons. My wife and I found ourselves woefully unprepared on a January overnighter on Standing Indian last year. We would have been fine had we stayed camped, but we got caught out for several hours on the move in freezing rain and high wind. We had cheap PU coated shells which failed, and no waterproof protection for our legs. So, what would you guys' clothing system be on a trip like this, provided a brutal winter destination was selected?

Malcolm Foss

@mfoss01

Just realized my previous post posed a gear question which was close to being a hijack, so I am posting again to weigh in on a few possible destinations. I would love to do a winter backpacking "assault on Mt. Mitchell" (any other cyclists out there?). Slickrock would probably be awesome in winter. And Big Frog Wilderness in Tennessee is great in winter. Most of the many bears are sleeping, and it's closer for me ;-)

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

I was thinking we needed to start something here to guage interest when it came up in the other thread. Good to see you took the initiative Craig! I'm definitely in, and MLK would be perfect time for me. I could take 4 or 5 days over the weekend off work if necessary.

As for gear, well Malcolm if we're planning the trip here, I say we gotta talk about the gear! :) Alot will depend on conditions, but my probable layering system is:

Base: Icebreaker 260 Tech-T, Icebreaker 200 tights

Mid: None really needed, maybe these things I made ;)

Windshell: Homemade hooded windshirt, taslan pants

Stormshell: Moonstone Gore-Tex or maybe a new project? ;)
    and old Red Ledge Thunderlight full-zip pants

Insulation: Patagonia down hoodie, homemade climashield
    pants.

Extremities: wool liner gloves and hiking socks, homemade insulated booties, wool mitts, homemade shell mitts, powerstretch mask, light wool hat, ID eVent shorty gaiters.

If it to be really REALLY cold I would swap my windshells for Ibex Skifans pullover and pants, and also my kinda weird, super functional (for me) homemade pieces; a powerstretch hoodie vest, and powerstretch shorts. Probably another hat and Marmot softshell gloves. I think I'm also gonna make some real basic Climashield mitts.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

This was my system last Winter:

Top Base: Ibex Outback L/S Merino Shirt
    Bottom Base: TNF Agilent Short + REI Mistral Pant
    Insulation: Montbell Thermawrap Jacket
    Socks: Teko Merino Wool
    Head: Mountain Hardwear Micro Dome
    Gloves: Mountain Hardwear Powerstretch
    Rain Shell: TNF Diad

That got me down to the low teens. I might add a windshirt and take different pants and gloves this Winter but those would likely be my only changes.

Malcolm Foss

@mfoss01

My Appalachian winter layering system is looking like this so far:

base top – Smartwool merino wool longsleeve
    windshirt – Marmot Original Driclime Windshirt
    insulation – Mountain Hardwear Compressor PL jacket
    rain shell – Outdoor Research Zealot jacket

base bottom – Smartwool merino wool long johns
    pants – need to add softshell pants
    rain pants -Outdoor Research Celestial pants

hat – REI micro-fleece beanie
    gloves – Black Diamond Polartec fleece gloves
    socks – Smartwool trekking
    boots – Vasque Summit GTX

Things I'm debating:
    Whether I need a puffier, warmer, lighter insulating jacket.
    What softshell pants to add.
    Whether I need to add insulating pants (e.g. Montbell Thermawrap)

What do you guys think?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Malcolm – do you run warm or cold? I obviously run warm but knowing that would help me help you.

Malcolm Foss

@mfoss01

Chris, I can see from your clothing list that you are one hardy son of gun. I on the other hand, definitely run cold.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I've gotten chilly in camp a time or two but generally that list works well for me. In regards to softshell pants, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Rab Vapour-rise trail pant. They were awesome on the WT3 trip in all conditons we experienced. With those pants I never had to use my insulating pants where most of the other guys did. As far as the jacket goes, a thermawrap jacket won't be as warm as the compressor you have now. I'd look at the thermawrap parka if the new BPL line isn't out before you need it.

Malcolm Foss

@mfoss01

Thanks for the info Chris, especially the heads up on the Rab pants. I was not aware of those.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

Count me in. As far as timing goes I'm very flexable. I would second the Big Frog idea but a bunch of those other suggestions sound good too. Glad to see the Southeast representing with the meetups – the west coast has been having all the fun for too long.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Great. Big Frog sounds good to me too its alot closer than driving all the way to the smokies or slickrock. I have never done too much hiking there though what trailhead would we park at?

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Jesse, probably the easiest Big Frog trailhead for a group meetup would be Low Gap because it is only about 4 miles behind the Ocoee Whitewater Center. Not too far to drive on the forest roads and easy to find. From there you can make a loop up Chimney Top to the Big Frog summit and then down Licklog Ridge. I've done this as a winter trip before and I think its about 15 miles, although there's plenty of trails to go as far as you want up there.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

In all my outdoor travels in the southern mountains over the last 25 years, I've never been to Big Frog. It seems some of the forum members are pretty knowledgable about the area, so my vote is for a new hiking spot for me. I second the Big Frog idea. 15-20 miler sounds about perfect; I wanna do a great challenging hike, but I'm also looking forward to some great comraderie with folks who share my passion!

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Well thats 3 votes for Big Frog if you count me.

Scott if we are going to be hiking saturday sunday AND monday don't you think we could do a little more than 15 or 20 miles? I was thinking of closer to 30 that way we hike 12 or 15 miles on sat and sun and have a super easy day on monday. But hey I'm cool with whatever.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Yes I think you're right Jesse; I was thinking overnighter for some reason. That gives us 10-12 miles a day; even hiking at a moderate pace, we're still only walking about 5-6 hours a day.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I'll try and keep up with this thread. If I can, I'll love to make the trip.

Thomas Bennett

@davidmakalaster

I'm planning a January loop on the Art Loeb Trail to the Mountains to Sea ultimately connecting to Black Mountain and back to the ranger station on 276. I haven't calculated the exact mileage but it should be a little under 70 miles total. I'm still up in the air about exact dates but if anyone's interested in maybe joining me let me know.

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Just wondering if people are still interested in this trip.

Troy Meadows
    BPL Member

@lightworker

Locale: Sierra foothills

Is this trip still planned for this weekend?
    I would love to go but saturday Im going skiing and My best friend wants me to go get drunk with here on her birthday on saturday as well.

You guys have fun

I'm moving to the west coast in feb so Im thinking of doing the Artlope or the Foothills trail before I leave. If anyone is interested let me no I'll probly leave for one of these trips after the 26th

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Guys, how about next weekend or the weekend of the 31st. I know I am busy the 8th of February but any other time works for me. Any of the aforementioned places would be fine in my book.

Malcolm Foss

@mfoss01

It was dumb of me to think I could go on a trip at a time when my wife is 7 months pregnant. For those of you who go through with this, have fun. Maybe you'll get more unusually cold weather like we had around here on Thursday and Friday.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I could go either this weekend (Jan 24-25) or the weekend of Febuary 7-8. I was planning to go do a loop in the Smokies this weekend and go to Mt Rogers on Feb 7-8, but If you guys want to meet up either of those two weekends, I will be able to make it.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Did you guys ever get anything together? I would be interested in getting something together before it gets warm. Anybody still game?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools