Topic

Does anybody know of a place on

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Does anybody know of a place on

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scott Jones

@ultimate2

the web or here where it explains how to make a synthetic sleeping bag with "Shingle Construction". I am curious to see if anything exists.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

DualMax – it shows primaloft shingles with down at the bottom.

A-Shingo – this kind has synthetic props under the shingles

Scott Jones

@ultimate2

Thanks for the links. I read extensively. To think that years ago, the gear was made in the U.S. and now almost all of it is made offshore. Makes you appreciate the old die hards like Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Integral Designs and smaller specialty places like Jacks R Better, Nunatak, and Fanatic Fringe.

There are lots of how to's on synthetic quilts, down quilts, even down bags, but it is sure hard to find step by step construction of how to make a synthetic sleeping bag with that shingle construction. I would be curious to see a video of a synthetic bag being produced.

Mark LeLievre

@bluenoseplaya

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but did you ever find step-by-step instructions on this shingle construction?

Scott Jones
    Spectator

@endeavor

Sorry for the late response but no, I have googled many places and it appears there are no instructions or anyone who has successfully sewn a synthetic sleeping bag.

I have found instructions for Down Sleeping Bags, Down Quilts, Synthetic Quilts, some minimalist synthetic bag by Bill Fornshell on this site, but someone actually doing a full all out synthetic sleeping bag with shingle construction or even just offset quilt, I don't think has ever been accomplished. Digging into my Nostalgia file I could have sworn there were home made kits by Frostline and Altra for Synthetic sleeping bags, but both companies are either no longer in business or they have changed there business plan.

With all the cottage industries that have kind of been bred by this website and other do it yourself sites you would think that there would be some crazy cross eyed seamster or seamstress raring to make an American made Synthetic Sleeping Bag and a legendary name for themselves. They could even have perfect vision and create these instead of having to worry about down flying all over their garage, basement, office, or living room and not having to worry about those foreigners stealing all our jobs. (it may only create one job if it is a cottage industry) Seems like it would be easier to make than a down bag which has baffles and of course the challenge of putting the down into the shell without making a giant mess.

Also, I think that Wiggy's guy needs the competition. He is probably bored being the only one making an American made synthetic sleeping bag, unless Kifaru makes their's here in the States. I think Caribou Mountaineering out of Chico California use to make Primaloft Bags but their quality control went to hell and they moved the company to Alice Springs Texas and I don't think they are even in business any longer…………..

I was hoping the Quenemoen twins of Jagged Edge Mountaineering would have made a cool Synthetic sleeping bag with that logo of theirs which was coolest, but the company stopped making gear. They broke my heart, but I still have my Primaloft Jacket and Waterproof Breathable rain jacket.

Hopefully some creative type will step forward and take on the challenge.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools