Topic

If you were seperated from your pack…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique If you were seperated from your pack…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> You never go on a walk after camp is set up?

By the time I have finally sat down and started to cook – nope. Too much effort!

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Jack,

In a word, No. I value your knowledge and expertise, so don't take the statement wrong. :)

At the end of the day, I am done hiking. If I am close to water, I will walk to the source. If I can't camp close to water, I get it before setting up for the night. I do leave the back to take a cr*p. And I may take a very short walk to enjoy a sunset or sunrise. But typically I position my campsite so I can enjoy the view without wander off.

I am not paranoid about losing the pack, just dilligent. Also, I like to do things in the most efficient manner possible. I have been doing this for so long, it is second nature. I don't even give it a conscious thought.

Dave T

@davet

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

You could of course end up with a second UL pack hanging around your neck. The logic seems questionable.
    Don't get separated!

Easier said than done. Potty stops, water collecting, photography on a rest day (aka layover day, zero day), wood gathering. I don't normally carry my pack when doing those things.

Right now, I normally carry:
    -lighter
    -300# test cordage (6')
    -liner lock knife
    -p38 can opener (on key ring)
    -button compass
    -photo micro light
    -whistle
    -chapstick
    -wallet (sometimes in pack)
    -cell phone (sometimes in pack)
    -map(s)
    -sun glasses
    -bandana

Seems like the following could be pretty practical if you had some good cargo pockets:
    -Energy bar
    -Duct tape
    -sun screen
    -tinder
    -Garbage bag
    -AMK Heatsheets or similar
    -Water bag, condoms (strong enough?), or bladder
    -signal mirror

Gotta watch the over all size, though. If it becomes impractical or ungainly, then I won't carry it.

HJ

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Roman and Craig, great minds think alike.This is what I carry in my pocket on every hike:My emergency kit

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools