Topic

My 15lb Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My 15lb Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Erik Graf

@van-go

Lots of good suggestions here – most glaring to me, as mentioned, are the stuff sacks. Zip locks or grocery bags.

Your biggest weight savings are your pack, "tent", and bag. Light can be costly and any discussion about your gear is in a vacuum unless we know where you go, altitude, climate, time of the year, etc.

But, saving all of that:

Pack:

I have that pack – it is great. It's my winter pack now. GoLite Ion during 2-3 seasons for me too. Lots of light packs out there but consider if you can handle a pack with/without a hip belt and with/without a frame

Bag:

I've gone to a Western Mountaineering bag. Set me back but had I just bit the bullet up front and not kept buying bags to shave a couple more oz's here and there I'd have 1 or 2 bags and not 5. Spend the $. A good bag is protection. Simple.

"Tent"

I can now handle the floorless thing but it took me a while to get there. Critters do not bother me but I just liked having a bathtub floor. As with anything you bring try to make it do the work of two. I use a Six Moon Gatewood Cape (my tent and my rain gear) and if going to a place where there is thick compost, flying insects, etc., I'll bring the Six Moon Net Tent to go with it.

There are versions of this which may be lighter – I just liked this one:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=55&bc=no

HOpe this helps. Good luck….

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I haven't ordered the TarpTent yet, so I'll definitely check out the others you suggested.

I've decided to replace my day pack with a GoLite Ion. I overnight out of my day pack now. Maybe I'll get light enough to do big trips with it eventually.

I looked at a number of sleeping bags, but it really came down to me finding one that fit my shoulders. I may swap to down eventually, but I have to find out if I'm allergic to it first! :)

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

My outfitter friend just got back with me about the TarpTents. He said he has one, but the condensation is really bad with them here in the south. He said the only single wall he has found that handles the condensation well is the Black Diamond HiLight. It's basically the same cost, size, and weight as the Seedhouse SL2. I think I would have to lean towards getting an SL1 or SL2 though. Oh well, I guess I'll just hold off until I can try out a regular tarp. :(

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

I got it down to 1.0 oz, including the 4×7 craft plastic bag. I ended up stealing a bunch of sample size stuff out of various first aid kits. :)
    (I'm going to wrap some duct tape around something for emergency repairs and possible first aid use too.)

1 Moleskin
    6 Benadryl
    3 Ibuprofen
    1 Imodium AD
    2 Alcohol Wipes
    2 Hydrocortisone
    2 3-in-1 Ointment
    5 Various Bandages
    3 Butterfly Bandages

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

I managed to drop nearly 6lbs off my list this month. I wish I had ordered a Jam2 from Backcountrygear, before they sold out of my size! lol

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

I'm still waiting for my Jam2 to show up, but it looks like I'm going to be right around 8lbs. I posted my gear in the community gear lists. I called it a 3+ season gear list, because it's basically what I'll be using to backpack this winter down south. I'll break down what's in my survival, first aid, and toiletry kits on the next update. Thanks for all of the great ideas!!!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/7920f9c1a74502d0247666405fe1a62e.pdf

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools