Topic

Chafing and the merits of going commando

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Chafing and the merits of going commando

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hello all –

This is an uncomfortable subject about a very uncomfortable condition….and is probably more than you'd ever want to know about anyone.

I am in the market for new shorts….

Alas, I find that chafing on the trail is a real problem if I wear underwear or shorts with the built-in briefs. I ended up cutting the briefs out of the shorts on the last trip and that did help the situation some.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with this more effectively or can recommend any shorts that are cut in such a way is to reduce chafing?

Fed up with friction,

Dirk

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

i go commando, usually works out OK. the only thing that i have found for chafing that works is bag balm. body glide, hydropel, and sport slick seem to keep the angry areas too moist and agitated. its the green can at the drug store. works like a charm, also, take EVERY opportunity to wash up that you can. the less sweat on you the less likely you are to chafe in the first place. good luck

Jay Trent

@jay590

Locale: blue mountains, Australia

I've never had chafing in my life, lucky me :) but my friends sware by cornflour.

Jay

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

It depends where it is Dirk

(there was a thread on this a few months or so ago with lots of comments, but I'll give you a few pointers).

I get chafing on my inner thighs from them rubbing together. It started when I put on muscle a few years ago (seems alot of people get this…in the Australian Army, they issue bike shorts as standard). Same would happen if you are carrying unwanted flab. Best solution for me here is to wear lycra/spandex bike shorts (without chamois padding-there are lots of running specific versions these days-in fact im aiming to buy a new pair tomorrow). Gels, etc as already mentioned also help, though I don't ever need both at the same time.

I've had a bit from wearing briefs in other places, usually on my but cheeks or bottom of lower back from seems/elastic and pack rubbing. This is usually from jocks I'm not used to and that are cotton with thicker elastics. Going commando under the bike shorts fixes this, and if I do this I normally wear shorts with mesh liners to give me support. I'm hoping my next pair of lycra shorts have better support.

One of my mates gets shocking chafing in places where u really dont want it, like right up top in between his legs, scrotumm (bad spelling is so that it passes the profanity filter…sorry BPL, but I'm being serious here not offensive), etc. We haven't solved it, but the gels, hydropel (the main one we use), etc, help, as does airing/reducing sweating. Cleaning would help, but it still happens when he's clean. Sometimes he just has to slow down so he doesn't sweat as much. I reckon he should clean shave regularly (like daily) down there, but thats a real hassle.

Hope this helps.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Tight(ish) boxer briefs are you friend here. Synthetic of course, or perhaps wool (inferior base layer IMO). I carry a small Bodyglide stick if I'll be logging 30 miles or more a day, and/or if it's quite hot out.

I cut the mesh briefs out of my running shorts a while ago because they didn't get the job done. With good undies and PROACTIVE lube use I've gone 60+ miles in a day with no chaffage.

Michael Oppegaard

@mike_o

Locale: Coastal NC

Get the Ex Officio boxer briefs. They aren't cheap, $30, but they took care of the problem I was having with the inner thighs. I am short, fat and looking hard at 40.

Light fabric that collects no sweat. I have like 7 pairs of them now so they must work.

SANDRA GILLESPIE KRAMER

@sandykayak

Locale: South Florida

Ref <<>

I believe you mean cornstarch. It's right next to the talcum powders.

sk

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Cornstarch does work wonders. Mom used to use it on the grandbabies when they had diaper rash and heat rash.

Bryan wears a brand of boxer briefs called Snob. They make a big difference (but they are over $13 a pair).

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I have chafe problems with one pair of synthetic boxer-briefs, they are too tight across the but and cause self-chafing.. Regular cotton undies work way better, most of the time. Around Tahoe, usually have low humidity or if not, then lower temps.

Never have tried to do 60 miles in a day though. I used some sunblock as emergency lube once, burned like crazy at first but it did help.

If you are shopping the web (may as well since you can't try them on in the store either) check out These Terramar $10-11 ones from STP

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Having had experience with those issues in the past, 2 things have worked for me; ExOfficio boxer briefs was one, going commando with the ExOfficio convertable zip off pants with the built in mesh brief also worked. Both are reasonably light weight options.
    Best wishes, hope your problem gets solved, it can really take the joy out of hiking.
    John

J Her

@sailfast3r

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Patagoina capilene boxers – relatively lightweight, but super comfortable. Dufold boxer briefs- lighter than the Patagonia stuff. Or some inexpensive synthetic rayon/polyester mix boxer shorts (got 2 pair from JC Penny for $12 a pair) I wear them sailing too and they dry fast. Relatively lightweight and pack small.

Also inexpensive running shorts that have the same material in the brief portion too. They work well and serve the same purpose. I also have a lightweight pair of Brooks running shorts that have a good built in breif and no chaf running a marathon.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I also add a vote for lycra shorts. You can wear them either by themseleves, or as underwear underneath ordinary shorts. The shiny synthetic fabrics seem to work best (less friction and dampness than cotton).

David Wills

@willspower3

I used to have chafing problems. I tried silk boxer briefs, spandex compression shorts, and loose fitting polyester boxers. I ended up opting for going commando in highly breathable polyester gym shorts (walmart variety) and carrying a small container of corn starch. It dries your nether regions very well and is slick. I will also second washing to remove dirt and oil at least once per day. I am about to make a rain skirt like the ULA one to hopefully keep breathability high in the rain.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Much already mentioned. I've tried a lot. Little has worked. What's worked best:
    1) Merino boxer briefs, tight-ish fitting
    2) Gold Bond or baby powder
    3) Regular washing
    4) Extra pair or two (sacrilege!) of briefs

Biggest problem i continue to run into is itching/etc after about three days on the trail. Campsuds and water do not clean briefs well enough for me. I seem to be sweating increasingly more. Now carry two spare pair for 10 days- 2 weeks. A few extra ounces that save me agony. Don't forget, washing and powder. (I also like the kilt idea…)

Blue _
    BPL Member

@lrmblue

Locale: Northeast (New England)

A kilt solved the problem for me. Currently I wear a Utilikilt work-kilt–way too heavy (made out of cotton canvas-like stuff). But it is comfortable, convenient, rugged and loaded with pockets. Not really lightweight though :-( .Currently I am playing with the idea of making my own kilt from wool.

LIBERTAS+PAX PACIS

darren stephens

@darren5576

Locale: Down Under

Dirk
    Years ago when I was racing enduro's I suffered allot. We used to call it monkey bum. Then I started using Anolin, a cream meant to stop nappy rash. And still do to this day. Its great for chafing, preventing blisters on feet, dry lips etc. You may not be able to get that exact brand but Iā€™m sure there is something similar.
    Hope that helps
    Darren

Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I got a pair of ExOfficio boxer briefs…no problems since!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yeah, good things.

Cheers

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Any synthetic old-school style (blousy) boxer works just like going commando…allows for lots of air circulation. Prevention is always worth a pound of cure. Anti Monkey Butt Powder (with Calamine powder) is a sweat absorber and friction fighter and a favorite of cyclists for shorts and shoes. Those little Moist Toweletts packets are great for cleaning up.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have to say, I didn't expect as many people to contribute to this thread. To all, thank you very much!

It seems everyone has a different solution to this issue. My problem is in the groin region,and I find all the shorts/underwear combos so far have resulted in added friction. I am 5-8 and built sort of like a fireplug (alas, I lack those long legs that make some of you so tough to keep up with).

But I will try some of the underwear suggested as well as the myriad of variety of balms/powders a try. I think finding the "right" combo will be a priority after my recent troubles.

In any case, losing a few pounds is one area totally under my control. That would help. Also, I will clean up twice a day to see if that alleviates the problem.

I very much appreciate everyone's suggestions. They are excellent. I will try some of these and report back as to what worked for me! Thank you all for contributing to this thread. It is good to know that I do not suffer alone!

Dirk

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Fortunately, I have never experienced this brutal "chaff" that many people suffer from, but in the past I experienced problems with hip rash. I switched to the Ex-Officio boxers a couple years back, and it solved my problems and I believe most problems that could potentially lead to chaff. They are so breathable that they actually make you FEEL like you are going commando. When wearing breathable pants, I've never experienced sweating or "mud butt" or any other uncomfortable feelings in "that area."

As for lined pants, I find them to be counterproductive for this because of the constriction they cause; so I will always cut out any lining offered by a manufacturer. But then again, this is precisely the reason I wear boxers and not briefs.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

I wouldn't advise going commando for many reasons, the least of which merely conversational as that would pretty much be the last topic I'd want to know if I were on the trail with you.

With that said, a lot of people will push you towards a spandex-type shorts which obviously has multiple benefits to include being able to serve as a pair of shorts in a pinch.

Personally, I hate spandex and most synthetics because the reality is they do hold smell and have other problems unlike something like Merino Wool. Personally, I have never been more comfortable in my choice of hiking gear when I decided to go with 100% smartwool/merino wool for my baselayers (socks, underwear, shirt, etc.). It might be worth looking at, it doesn't hold smell, it breathes well, and it regulates body temperature like nothing on the market.

I use the 100% merino wool boxer briefs by Minus 33, likely because they were the cheapest…but I honestly can't complain about them. Icebreaker and SmartWool also make decent stuff:

Minus 33- http://www.backcountry.com/store/SWL0022/SmartWool-Microweight-Boxer-Brief-Mens.html?CMP_ID=SH_NXT001&CMP_SKU=SWL0022&mv_pc=r147

Icebreaker – http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7432072/c/652.html

SmartWool – http://www.backcountry.com/store/SWL0022/SmartWool-Microweight-Boxer-Brief-Mens.html?CMP_ID=SH_NXT001&CMP_SKU=SWL0022&mv_pc=r147

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools